• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1913 $2.50 Gold Indian - Grade?

33 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 4:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

FYI, if you are getting into coin collecting you should have a Red Book which has really helpful specific grading descriptions for each type of coin at the beginning of those sections, along with a brief history of those coins.

Not bad to have one, but the Internet and online auction sites are your best friend for historical pricing.

Price charts here at NGC aren't bad for tracing long-term movements.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

FYI, if you are getting into coin collecting you should have a Red Book which has really helpful specific grading descriptions for each type of coin at the beginning of those sections, along with a brief history of those coins.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's now on order! 

I find as a newer collector I am constantly going to the Red Book to check approximate values, mintages, prices for a particular year/mint, comparison of prices to other years/mints or even other types within a category, which are right there, and then the grading tips specific to a coin which I find extremely useful along with the PCGS grade guidelines.

Maybe over time I will have a better handle on much of that and just need to maybe check pricing. But for now some of the pages in my RB are getting worn out ... 😆 

Then from there I start looking at what maybe some more experienced collectors go to right off including NGC $ PCGS price guides and then for in-depth prices for a specific type/year/grade coin I look at HA or GC auction prices.

I also had a trial subscription to the Greysheet price guidelines. But with all the other resources available and the feeling it was geared more towards dealer wholesale pricing, I didn't continue the subscription.

Just my two (Indian head) nickels