[Sad Day] NGC/NCS Conservation - Copper Spot on modern Gold Proof Coin.
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I am feeling a little upset. I have some unslabbed modern gold proof coins hidden away. Today, upon inspection, one of them has a tiny red spot.


If I were to send this for NGC and NCS conservation, will this coin still get PF69 or PF70 due to conservation?

Dear collectors and experts, please advise a sad man :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The spot is contamination acquired before the coin was originally packaged. Mr. Lange from NGC can give you better information on their success rate in removing visual traces. In most instances I've examined, there is residual damage that can never be removed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2022 at 12:26 PM, RWB said:

The spot is contamination acquired before the coin was originally packaged. Mr. Lange from NGC can give you better information on their success rate in removing visual traces. In most instances I've examined, there is residual damage that can never be removed.

Correct me if I’m wrong but to my knowledge, “copper” spots are not something that would take a coin below 69, by itself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Member: Seasoned Veteran

NCS is very good at removing simple copper spots. It's the black "flyspecks" that may leave a ghost behind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you @DWLange - Very honoured to have your leaving a reply. I looked carefully, the copper spot that appeared wasn't red, but a spot of deep black. Doesn't look promising.

My other concern is whether the spot will re-appear again, as I understand it is some kind of chemical reaction in non-gold metal in the coin

@RWB @VKurtB - Thank you for your response - It's a consolation to a sad man today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The spots are caused by minute particles, usually metal, floating in the coining room or packing room air. These can also be particles that were inhaled by workers then expelled into the room via a sneeze or other unprotected discharge. Much of the original research on this was performed in China, Australia, and a European museums.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know a dealer who submits MS69 eagles with some coppery spot or discoloration and they burn them off in conservation and come back MS70, often worth $1000 more!  A profitable dealer trick, buy the spotted gold at a 69 price and then make a grand in a 70 holder after conservation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2022 at 6:34 AM, RWB said:

The spots are caused by minute particles, usually metal, floating in the coining room or packing room air. These can also be particles that were inhaled by workers then expelled into the room via a sneeze or other unprotected discharge. Much of the original research on this was performed in China, Australia, and a European museums.

Thank you. I have sent that coin to NGC for conservation and slabbing. 

If the "ghost" is still there, and score lower than PF69, I would sell the gold as bullion. 

Fingers crossed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 8:57 AM, ivanterror33 said:

Thank you. I have sent that coin to NGC for conservation and slabbing. 

If the "ghost" is still there, and score lower than PF69, I would sell the gold as bullion. 

Fingers crossed. 

Good luck, but I would be AMAZED if a coin with a black spot could get to 69 or 70. An orange copper spot is another matter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2022 at 11:02 AM, ivanterror33 said:

I am feeling a little upset. I have some unslabbed modern gold proof coins hidden away. Today, upon inspection, one of them has a tiny red spot.

How long have you had these coins and what year were they minted ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1