• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yes yes I know an impossible 1964 sms Kennedy half
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Nothing useful can be determined from the photos. Members need clear, sharp, well-lit images.

In any event, there is no such things as a "1964 SMS" coin. That has been explained multiple times along with the Tooth Fairy, and Baba Yaga.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, Melior Invenidiste said:

Those darned NGC numismatists just have to disagree with you. 

They are wrong as are PCGS. No Special Mint Sets were made for any purpose for 1964 coinage. The misidentified coins are simple early strikes off a new die pair. The same are in the Smithsonian NNC and correctly identified. This is a prime example of promotion of ignorance and greed in numismatics.

If you take the time and research the story of how the 64 SMS coins were "discovered", you'll know that unless you received this coin from the Adams estate or purchased a slabbed example, you don't have one.  None were issued to collectors or put in circulation.

So if you know it's impossible (which is the correct answer), why did you post it?

On 7/8/2022 at 10:59 AM, Melior Invenidiste said:

So now you can start a loose leaf notebook of things that RWB disagrees with the bulk of the numismatic hobby. Better get one with a spine of at least a couple of inches. You’ll need it, maybe just for the ones that RWB disagrees with the American Numismatic Association. It’s NOT a rare state of affairs. Not even a little bit. (Sorry, couldn’t resist. RWB just might be correct about this one.)

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/8/2022 at 8:59 AM, Melior Invenidiste said:

At least NGC admits what they really are on their coin explorer... NGC calls the "SMS" coins new strikes and state them as essentially nothing special. 

On 7/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, VKurtB said:

So now you can start a loose leaf notebook of things that RWB disagrees with the bulk of the numismatic hobby. Better get one with a spine of at least a couple of inches. You’ll need it, maybe just for the ones that RWB disagrees with the American Numismatic Association. It’s NOT a rare state of affairs. Not even a little bit. (Sorry, couldn’t resist. RWB just might be correct about this one.)

I think we both know Roger is probably right about this one :bigsmile:.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:08 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Respectfully, this exchange will not be complete until @zadok and @MarkFeld among others share their views. :roflmao:

...i personally dont find the subject matter worth the time to comment on, whether they exist or not doesnt add to numismatic significance one way or the other...however, just because someone says that something doesnt exist because there is no documentation that expressly supports the existence is even less significant, no one appointed or elected those individuals to speak for the numismatic community, they r self determined to be the so-called arbitors, which speaks to their own diminished frailities n self annointed importance...the real arbitors in issues like this r the coins themselves, they speak in volumes n dont have to pat themselves on their own backs...there r dozens if not hundreds of coins that r not supposed to exist...look at the coin n make ur own judgement dont let someone else dictate to u what u r supposed to accept....

@zadok:

It is 1:11 am in New York. Yet again, you've honored the Forum by taking time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts. Thank you. All is well with the world. I have heard from my dearest friends. NOW I can go to sleep...

On 7/9/2022 at 1:22 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

@zadok:

It is 1:11 am in New York. Yet again, you've honored the Forum by taking time out of your busy schedule to share your thoughts. Thank you. All is well with the world. I have heard from my dearest friends. NOW I can go to sleep...

...wakey wakey, its 9 am in the big apple...theres a rooster crowing somewhere, heard its a ms69...i have no schedule im on celestial time, measured in light years, the syracuse decadrachma were just hammered moments ago, they look great....

On 7/9/2022 at 9:02 AM, zadok said:

...wakey wakey, its 9 am in the big apple...theres a rooster crowing somewhere, heard its a ms69...i have no schedule im on celestial time, measured in light years, the syracuse decadrachma were just hammered moments ago, they look great....

Your legacy is assured, Great One! I must contend with the Fickle Finger of Fate.