• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wearable loupe that you suggest
1 1

18 posts in this topic

The title says it all.
(Not related to loupe query–I can neither boast nor embarrass myself here yet until my photos stop sucking; please point me to an extant photography thread. Does anyone have a Tomlov w/seven-inch display? I have the use of one for a few days, and I fail to be satisfied with what I am able to do). 

I like the Eschenbach 4+6X loupe.  I do not need super high magnification and I appreciate the larger lenses with clarity to the edge.  

I do have a scope.  It is an Amscope with dual lenses and a camera.  It's a nice scope, but I use the loupe almost exclusively.  I guess I am just more of a loupe kind of guy.

These work well. They let you see the coins magnified while standing at a distance from the dealer's cases.... :)

il_1588xN.2016157355_oe72.thumb.webp.e50839d6811977619c1cdef0d90c1819.webp

3474_2_.jpg.7ad79e48a9e11795b5841fa92ef2e2a5.jpg

Edited by RWB

Every coin I peer at through a loop is a double something for two or three blinks and squints, so I do not know if more magnification would help. I lose my loupe often. Anyhow, I bought a feral hoard (not from a dealer) of wheat cents that has given up a 1909 S, 1914 D, and 1915 S; and I’m trying to take care of the loosies, which have five ruptured rolls of BU late sixty, early seventy rubbing on other bronze disks. The auction page said 40+ pounds, but it’s more like 75+ pounds. No one should envy me for the 1909 S, nor for the 1914 D, And, more that I do not remember because I’m sorting (culling) as quickly as I can. I do not have to look for errors because they’re all either MD or DD to me anyway. SF and D make up three-fourths equally and for the first time in my life I gasp a bit when a plain pops up.There are about sixty sorted and unsorted rolls in wraps that break when I blink and squint at the dates on them. It looks as if the guy who filled in my fuse box panel used the same pencil to fail at furthering provenance. I haven’t examined the folders, But the coins look sluggish, and the same ten or so pocks are empty. The latest year is 1977. He also sold grandpa’s hoards of standing liberties, silver Washingtons, and Mercurys. 

D153BBC6-6A53-49BA-9B9B-DB42AEBF3672.jpeg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This is all you really need. I wanted one so much as a kid, but at $12.50 they were way beyond my budget. I had my revenge decades later, when I accumulated about a dozen examples in various colors and with different boxes. Just plug it in and load a roll of pennies, then start sliding the handle...

Scan-O-Matic small.jpg

The Scan-O-Matic is good but your have to plug it in for each coin....or did I read the instructions wrong.....?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Scan-O-Matic is good but your have to plug it in for each coin....or did I read the instructions wrong.....?

No, the coins are not electrified---only the light bulb.

On 7/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, DWLange said:

No, the coins are not electrified---only the light bulb.

Ahhh,,,mine was the old model -- had to use lightning bugs. Very inconvenient in the winter.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:33 PM, Ray Tatum said:

It looks as if the guy who filled in my fuse box panel used the same pencil to fail at furthering provenance. 

I'm sorry, but I don't decipher cryptic sentences like this very well. What are you saying here? (shrug)

On 7/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, Ray Tatum said:

It looks as if the guy who filled in my fuse box panel used the same pencil to fail at furthering provenance.

Just Bob -- Very easy to figure out....

Provenance is the capital of Rhode Island. There is, or was, a large pencil factory in the city -- I mean they made a lot of regular pencils, not just really big-size pencils ---Anyway the guy who marked Ray Tatum's home fuse box (breaker box) panel so the electricians would get the correct fuse hooked to the correct electrical line, used one of these Provenance, RI pencils and so the pencil notations had a provenance traceable (or pencilable) back to the factory in Provenance, RI.

BTW "Furthering" is a town a few miles outside of Provenance, RI. That's where the electrician lived at the time he wrote on the fuse box with a pencil made in Provenance, RI. Note that if Furthering, RI were NOT outside Provenance, but were INSIDE Provenance, then Furthering would have been named "Nearthering" and not "Furthering."

:)

Edited by RWB

On 7/9/2022 at 12:01 PM, RWB said:

Provenance is the capital of Rhode Island. There is, or was, a large pencil factory in the city -- I mean they made a lot of regular pencils, not just really big-size pencils ---Anyway the guy who marked Ray Tatum's home fuse box (breaker box) panel so the electricians would get the correct fuse hooked to the correct electrical line, used one of these Provenance, RI pencils and so the pencil notations had a provenance traceable (or pencilable) back to the factory in Provenance, RI.

BTW "Furthering" is a town a few miles outside of Provenance, RI. That's where the electrician lived at the time he wrote on the fuse box with a pencil made in Provenance, RI. Note that if Furthering, RI were NOT outside Provenance, but were INSIDE Provenance, then Furthering would have been named "Nearthering" and not "Furthering."

You must be staying at a Holiday Inn Express again RWB

On 7/9/2022 at 12:10 PM, J P Mashoke said:

You must be staying at a Holiday Inn Express again RWB

Howard Johnson's. Awfully quiet here, though. Haven't seen another guest all week.

On 7/9/2022 at 11:01 AM, RWB said:

Ok, that makes it all quite clear. Thanks. (thumbsu

Huh? Did I misuse numismatic nomenclature? Just Bob, I promise that when I have something weighty to post, there will be no telegraphic sentences. Your reading filter works fine. Your bs filter works fine.

A nice jolt, but unremarkable inside. I think that there is a burst roll of VDBs with the loosies.

3CA1783D-FC08-46D3-B5B4-A5BCDD51D422.jpeg

On 7/9/2022 at 8:17 PM, Ray Tatum said:

I think that there is a burst roll of VDBs with the loosies.

What is a "burst" roll? "Loosies?"

1909-P cents are good on-line auction fodder, esp on etsy and other slime sites.

I was not clear. The coins were once sorted by date and mint mark and wrapped. The wraps either survived or did not. The rolls that burst made a sack of loosies in which the sorted dates and marks number around fifty coins. I found the 1909 roll,and when I sorted some loose coins from a different bag I pulled about fifteen VDBs. I hope that I am right. Thanks for keeping me straight.