• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charmy's June 2022 LONG BEACH EXPOS SHOW REPORT w/tons of Pics!
3 3

49 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, VKurtB said:

“Obnoxious” and “Burdette” are words often found together. 

[Sorry to disappoint my few remaining detractors, but the truth is preserving my mutual friendships, at this point, are more important to me than engaging in gratutitous contentiousness.  Besides, in past matters my own sister unabashedly sided with NGC Moderation.] :makepoint: doh! :facepalm:

On 7/13/2022 at 2:11 PM, RWB said:

Cats are an invasive species that destroy native birds and small mammals. They kill because that's their nature -- not for food....New Zealand has an enlightened national plan to destroy all feral cats.

This just in (yes, a year later):  "... Australia 'Declares War' On its Cat Problem."

A snippet. "... long recognized as a major threat to the continent's native wildlife....  Invasive species are the biggest drivers of biodiversity loss in Australia, a new U.N. report found this week.  And feral cats are the most invasive in the country's landscape, killing an estimated two billion animals per year... [Emphases mine.]

(from The Australia Letter," a weekly newsletter from the N.Y. Times' Australia Bureau.)

On 9/10/2023 at 7:48 PM, Henri Charriere said:

This just in (yes, a year later):  "... Australia 'Declares War' On its Cat Problem."

A snippet. "... long recognized as a major threat to the continent's native wildlife....  Invasive species are the biggest drivers of biodiversity loss in Australia, a new U.N. report found this week.  And feral cats are the most invasive in the country's landscape, killing an estimated two billion animals per year... [Emphases mine.]

(from The Australia Letter," a weekly newsletter from the N.Y. Times' Australia Bureau.)

Ya wanna know why this sort of garbage offends me? Because my wife and I do feral cat “rescues” and she has worked with Forgotten Felines. You want to make an enemy of me? Keep this up. I’m 100% dead serious. Both of you. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/11/2023 at 4:56 PM, VKurtB said:

Ya wanna know why this sort of garbage offends me? Because my wife and I do feral cat “rescues” and she has worked with Forgotten Felines. You want to make an enemy of me? Keep this up. I’m 100% dead serious. Both of you. 

Don't be like that. I grew up with cats. I love cats. None were adopted; none were strays; they were simply abandoned. All were male and as The Penny Lady noted, all marked their territory. Invasive species to me are snakehead fish or beetles that bore into trees. If there are feral cats up here in NYC, the feral dogs get them. Besides, if I had wanted to get your goat, I would have reminded you that one of the busier NGC Submission centers overseas is in Shanghai which, last I checked, was still in the heart of mainland Red China.  :makepoint:  :hi:

Feral cats are invasive species. They have no role in the natural ecosystem, except for being destructive. Those are the facts.

If Kurt and his wife want to "rescue" them and cull for the small percent that can be safely domesticated and sold as HOUSE PETS, please do that. But the reality is that most feral cats are simply disease carrying vermin, and every Animal Rescue Shelter has to dispose of them. (Suffocation is the most common way. Carbon monoxide works faster but costs $$$. Grinding into cat food is quick but kind of messy.)

So far no one has created a cat-specific food-based sterilization product. Medroxyprogesterone acetate, etc, will harm useful natural animals.

On 9/11/2023 at 7:57 PM, Sandon said:

I don't know why this off-topic discussion of the merits of cats from a year ago has been resumed. I'm sure that the OP doesn't want to see these posts in her e-mail.

I would caution anyone who may think ill of cats or those humans who enjoy their presence--one can't really be the "owner" of a cat--to view a 1960s horror film entitled Shadow of the Cat. THE CAT KNOWS!

...i believe it is Lamont Cranston that knows...maybe catwoman too?...but agree off-topic comments, we all know where Charmy's sentiments lie but we r saddled with a certain weird person who thinks resurfacing long gone thread contents is a positive n with a cynic whose opinions mostly run counter to the general consensus of the other members, i guess its much akin to one cant always choose ones neighbors....

On 9/12/2023 at 8:50 AM, RWB said:

Other that Isle of Manx, are there felix domesticus images on other coins?

I believe so. ANA Exhibiting Committee Chairman Simcha Laib Kuritsky has been doing exhibits of cat coins for years now. I never had time to study them closely. I barely had time to judge the exhibits I was assigned. 

On 9/11/2023 at 6:31 PM, RWB said:

Feral cats are invasive species. They have no role in the natural ecosystem, except for being destructive. Those are the facts.

If Kurt and his wife want to "rescue" them and cull for the small percent that can be safely domesticated and sold as HOUSE PETS, please do that. But the reality is that most feral cats are simply disease carrying vermin, and every Animal Rescue Shelter has to dispose of them. (Suffocation is the most common way. Carbon monoxide works faster but costs $$$. Grinding into cat food is quick but kind of messy.)

So far no one has created a cat-specific food-based sterilization product. Medroxyprogesterone acetate, etc, will harm useful natural animals.

Small percentage, your massively wide . I have not yet encountered even ONE feral cat I could not tame. Some take a little longer than others. 

On 9/11/2023 at 5:26 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Don't be like that. I grew up with cats. I love cats. None were adopted; none were strays; they were simply abandoned. All were male and as The Penny Lady noted, all marked their territory. Invasive species to me are snakehead fish or beetles that bore into trees. If there are feral cats up here in NYC, the feral dogs get them. Besides, if I had wanted to get your goat, I would have reminded you that one of the busier NGC Submission centers overseas is in Shanghai which, last I checked, was still in the heart of mainland Red China.  :makepoint:  :hi:

Want something that deserves ALL our hate? It’s China, not cats. My definition of vermin is folks who live near D.C.

Edited by VKurtB

The Penny Lady and I, and apparently the gentleman hailing from the Great Sovereign State of Alabama, presently, are in complete accord.  We have an affinity for cats. Enter the Grand Master and Numismatist of the Year who chimes in, intermittently, with a comment I thought curious.  A year and change later, I was presented with something Elbert Hubbard penned as "A Message to Gracia."  What to do?  I could not post it on the Off-Topic thread; it had been digitally erased and no longer existed.  I could not ctc RWB directly via PM as the content was long but more importantly would be of interest to other members who, like me, understood the concept but not the far-reaching consequences where feral cats' activities are making an out-sized impact on the environment. Surprisingly, I was unaware of that.  The dispatch provided hard, large  numbers. I chose to deliver "A Message to Garcia," to give credence to a notion RWB felt strongly enough about to register a comment concerning a bookend to Charmy's charming thread. Posting entails risk anytime a member elects to broaden, as the late, great Oldhoop put it, the "body of knowledge." I am not smart enough to mask my motive to enlighten the membership with malice aforethought. RWB was vindicated, in measure by my post, as were those who were given some perspective on the genesis of RWB's thoughts.  As most members know, I subscribe to the late Lady Brooke Astor's posture to etiquette: "Manners are everything."  And if only one of the thousands of hobbyists now understand the basis for RWB's cryptic references, myself included, my contribution was a success though ultimately, as expected, it does not and likely cannot resonate with everyone.  I consider ALL members and guests -- even those who've misjudged me harshly --as friends. I believe now, with the air cleared, we have a better understanding of where members stand.

On 9/12/2023 at 1:52 PM, zadok said:

...im sure Oldhoopster would take exception of u using his name to support ur meaningless ramblings, out of respect for him i would request u refrain....

Yes. Oldhoopster left this site because of Henri and he would be pissed.  A few days later, Oldhoopster passed. 

I could say much more but I'll just stop right there.

On 9/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, ldhair said:

Yes. Oldhoopster left this site because of Henri and he would be pissed.  A few days later, Oldhoopster passed. 

I could say much more but I'll just stop right there.

Corrections & Amplifications...  It is a shame viewers feel compelled to further desecrate a beautiful, classic thread, but when they misstate a few basic facts, I am compelled to speak out.

Imprimis, respectfully, no one can place the blame for a stalwart, veteran seasoned member's departure on Henri Charriere. His debut occurred months after Oldhoopstar's untimely demise due to failing health.  Quintus Arrius had a begrudging respect for this formidable adversary who notably refused to "ignore" him, or anyone else, or the literary device he deployed, a talking Rooster with a voice all his own. I can only surmise the Website Coordinator intervened personally on his behalf because she was privy to privileged personal information unknown generally to the membership at large at the time.

Secondly, no one can presume to speak for the private vs. public thoughts of the deceased. I have read many of musings by those who held him in high esteem and can state unequivocally that my predecessor held him in high regard, as well. With a large numismatic library at his disposal, he could have easily related information posed in queries, but insisted that members, newbies in particular, "look it up." Unlike me and others, he did not discourage sub-par submissions which would only gum of the works and compromise turn-around times, unapologetically asserting it was the cost an uninformed member must incur in furtherance of an education. When Oldhoop spoke, he eschewed the pronoun "I" in favor of "we," exuding the confidence that he acquired in jousts with others over generations of collecting.

He was very active, spending decades jumping into the fray with free abandon, here and on other forums.  He has been sorely missed and, if alive, would no doubt object to the uncivil language used by some who ought to know better on this thread. I seriously question the motives of those who would attempt to besmirch my reputation and character by resurrecting the specter of a feisty and playful former member. To those watching the clock, NGC routinely conducts a house-cleaning on the first day of the year.  By my reckoning, I have 99 days left to clear my desk after my birthday (Constitution Day) next Sunday. Unbeknownst to him, The NN will get his wish.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine post-writing die polishing.

On 9/12/2023 at 6:43 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Corrections & Amplifications...  It is a shame viewers feel compelled to further desecrate a beautiful, classic thread, but when they misstate a few basic facts, I am compelled to speak out.

Imprimis, respectfully, no one can place the blame for a stalwart, veteran seasoned member's departure on Henri Charriere. His debut occurred months after Oldhoopstar's untimely demise due to failing health.  Quintus Arrius had a begrudging respect for this formidable adversary who notably refused to "ignore" him, or anyone else, or the literary device he deployed, a talking Rooster with a voice all his own. I can only surmise the Website Coordinator intervened personally on his behalf because she was privy to privileged personal information unknown generally to the membership at large at the time.

Secondly, no one can presume to speak for the private vs. public thoughts of the deceased. I have read many of musings by those who held him in high esteem and can state unequivocally that my predecessor held him in high regard, as well. With a large numismatic library at his disposal, he could have easily related information posed in queries, but insisted that members, newbies in particular, "look it up." Unlike me and others, he did not discourage sub-par submissions which would only gum of the works and compromise turn-around times, unapologetically asserting it was the cost an uninformed member must incur in furtherance of an education. When Oldhoop spoke, he eschewed the pronoun "I" in favor of "we," exuding the confidence that he acquired in jousts with others over generations of collecting.

He was very active, spending decades jumping into the fray with free abandon, here and on other forums.  He has been sorely missed and, if alive, would no doubt object to the uncivil language used by some who ought to know better on this thread. I seriously question the motives of those who would attempt to besmirch my reputation and character by resurrecting the specter of a feisty and playful former member. To those watching the clock, NGC routinely conducts a house-cleaning on the first day of the year.  By my reckoning, I have 99 days left to clear my desk after my birthday (Constitution Day) next Sunday. Unbeknownst to him, The NN will get his wish.

...i stand by my previous statement...ur obvs n amps r meaningless n i guess written to impress only urself, no one else reads them...there is only one here desecrating another's memory, u do not have the liberty of interjecting his credibility into ur incessant nonsensical reiterations, i personally find them offensive....