• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charmy's June 2022 LONG BEACH EXPOS SHOW REPORT w/tons of Pics!
3 3

49 posts in this topic

Do you find California dealers who don't go to ANA or FUN more likely to attend Long Beach since it's basically right their backyard (at least for Southern CA dealers) ?  I would think there are many CA dealers -- including smaller ones -- who flock to LB.

I'm also sure there are FL-area dealers who just go to FUN and never attend Long Beach.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Why were James Worthy and collectibles featured ?  Has Long Beach always included non-coin stuff ?

In the past, you'd see a token booth or two like that as a favor to a friend or a special request.  But if there was a sizeable number of non-coin dealers, you'd wonder if it was to drive attendance given the resurgence in modern collectibles (NFTs, baseball cards) and other stuff.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:08 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

Another very entertaining report, thanks for posting. Love the Ferrari. 

Love the Ferrari, too.  And with the building reflected on its hatch glass, I couldn't help but think of…

As I was walkin' 'round Grosvenor Square

Thank you, Charmy!

On 7/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, RWB said:

Nothing but a long ad for PCGS....and the stupid cat.

You know, it's obnoxious post like yours that make me think twice about putting in the hard work and many hours it takes to put together these show reports. Luckily, there are many more folks who seem to appreciate them than there are people like you who could simply choose not open them or move on to something else if they don't like what they read. Why do people like you feel the need to be negative and antagonistic, rather than simply move on is a mystery to me and most folks I know.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:33 PM, The Penny Lady said:

You know, it's obnoxious post like yours that make me think twice about putting in the hard work and many hours it takes to put together these show reports. Luckily, there are many more folks who seem to appreciate them than there are people like you who could simply choose not open them or move on to something else if they don't like what they read. Why do people like you feel the need to be negative and antagonistic, rather than simply move on is a mystery to me and most folks I know.

...good for u Charming Lady...its because there r always a few pedantic small fish in their small ponds that think they r big fish in the bigger pond...if its not something they said or wrote or speculated about or "conjecturized" then its always negative...some just dont want ripples to interrupt their perceived wake...u just keep on keeping on rowing ur boat as u see fit...we beholders appreciate the view thru ur lens when we cant be there...if im not mistaken cats love little fish....

On 7/12/2022 at 7:33 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Huh?  What prompted this?

Cats are an invasive species that destroy native birds and small mammals. They kill because that's their nature -- not for food. If someone wants a useless ball of poo, pee, and allergy IN their home, that's fine. But it must never be allowed outside except on a tight leash. New Zealand has an enlightened national plan to destroy all feral cats.

On 7/11/2022 at 7:33 PM, The Penny Lady said:

Thank you, did not realize you were so extremely touchy. Your promotional for PCGS is obnoxious. The other stuff is fine. Your previous show posts have been mildly entertaining, but this one crossed the line into extensive advertising not of your individual show experiences, but for another company. Try rethinking your approach.

Edited by RWB

On 7/13/2022 at 11:12 AM, RWB said:

Thank you, did not realize you were so extremely touchy. Your promotional for PCGS is obnoxious. The other stuff is fine. Your previous show posts have been mildly entertaining, but this one crossed the line into extensive advertising not of your individual show experiences, but for another company. Try rethinking your approach.

I've been doing this for a very long time and have developed thick skin, especially when it comes to people like you, but it still bewilders me why you and others who don't enjoy a post or a specific topic just can't move on. Maybe you don't know, but the Long Beach show is a Collectors Universe show, sponsored by PCGS, run by PCGS, with great PCGS people making sure the public and the dealers had everything they needed. Why not promote a show and/or organization that is well run, with competent and helpful people. If NGC was at the show, I would definitely have photographed and talked about them as well - I know they work just has hard as the PCGS folks to help people with their questions and submissions. Frankly, sounds more like you may have a bit of sour grapes since you are an EX PCGS forum member.

At the risk of incurring "Chopper One's" wrath, may I inquire as to the "invasive," "feral," killer kat's name, and whether it is male or female?  🤔 

On 7/13/2022 at 1:50 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

At the risk of incurring "Chopper One's" wrath, may I inquire as to the "invasive," "feral," killer kat's name, and whether it is male or female?  🤔 

Her name is Penny and she's an adorable sweet (indoor) tuxedo cat and has never harmed any creature. Since her name is Penny and I am The Penny Lady, I have included her picture at the end of every one of my show reports.

She is a domesticated cat and a threat to no one. My family has had a succession of cats, all male, all of whom left their signature marks defining their territory. My father did not like that and one day the cat acknowledged his disapproval by leaving a contribution in the center of his bed.

I believe everyone, members, guests, lurkers and loiterers alike, appreciate your comprehensive after-action show reports. I know I do.  🐓 

On 7/13/2022 at 3:00 PM, The Penny Lady said:

Her name is Penny and she's an adorable sweet (indoor) tuxedo cat and has never harmed any creature. Since her name is Penny and I am The Penny Lady, I have included her picture at the end of every one of my show reports.

I like the cat! I've grown up with cats my whole life and they just bring something new to enjoy and laugh at every day. I think perhaps dog people are a bit touchy when they realize what they missed out on lol

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I came to Penny's defence a couple days ago, though I'm not certain it was noticed. 😹

On 7/13/2022 at 2:57 PM, DWLange said:

I came to Penny's defence a couple days ago, though I'm not certain it was noticed. 😹

David, I definitely noticed and appreciated your comment - thank you! Look forward to seeing you in Chicago next month!

On 7/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, DWLange said:

i noticed n acknowledged the same, ur chivalry earns u a sword tap...Charming Lady adds pizzazz n class to the shows she attends in addition to knowing her "cents"...plus i learn some interesting cuisine n vintner info i didnt know n places to eat...acknowledging the tpgs is not anything negative, quite the contrary...their contributions to the numismatic community have advanced the hobby into the 21st century....

On 7/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

So Long Beach is a PCGS-exclusive show ?  Does NGC have a counter show it is the primary sponsor of ?

How long have Long Beach & PCGS been tied together ?

Even though the Long Beach show is owned by Collectors Universe (and has been for many years), it is not the exclusive grading service there. ANACS has always had a table, as has NGC  but it is my understanding that NGC has chosen not to set up at the Long Beach show for this year due to economic reasons.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:18 PM, The Penny Lady said:

Even though the Long Beach show is owned by Collectors Universe (and has been for many years), it is not the exclusive grading service there. ANACS has always had a table, as has NGC  but it is my understanding that NGC has chosen not to set up at the Long Beach show for this year due to economic reasons.

OK, thanks...since you attend many shows, Charmy, how would you describe attendance compared to the trend pre-Covid ?  My undestanding (as a local show attender only aside from FUN 2020) is that show attendance at many 2ndary shows was declining but The Big 3 (ANA, Long Beach, FUN) were holding up and maybe increasing dealers/attendance.

Interested in your thoughts since you actually interact with other dealers and the public.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/13/2022 at 5:57 PM, DWLange said:

So noticeable that it is the only instance I can recall of your shooting a reproval over someone's bow.  I can understand if we're talking about Emerald ash borers or Snake head fish, but Penny? Heretical.   🐓 

On 7/13/2022 at 7:27 PM, The Penny Lady said:

Show attendance is currently better and stronger than pre-Covid, including at many of the smaller shows.

That's very interesting (thumbsu....we'll see how many people keep active and how many new coin collectors are "sticky" to the hobby.

“Obnoxious” and “Burdette” are words often found together.