• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC certified registry coin listed on ebay from Poland
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I noticed this NGC certified $20 gold coin listed at auction on ebay:  Liberty Head 20$ 1875 Philadelphia NGC MS62 beautiful coin | eBay

Registry coin on the NGC site, same pictures:  1875 United States $20 | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Reported to NGC customer service who said it was not listed as stolen.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:21 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

They registry collector and seller could be the same person.  I have bought a few coins that were in preexisting registries and needed to be transferred.  But, as Roger said - it is gone... so, there's that.

“Gone” is ambiguous. The listing indicates that the coin was sold, as opposed to eBay having removed the listing. And the seller’s feedback is terrible:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/francdon5?filter=feedback_page%3ARECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2560

On 7/5/2022 at 4:37 PM, MarkFeld said:

“Gone” is ambiguous. The listing indicates that the coin was sold, as opposed to eBay having removed the listing. And the seller’s feedback is terrible:

https://www.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/francdon5?filter=feedback_page%3ARECEIVED_AS_SELLER&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2560

It’s not easy to say in this PC era, but sometimes clichés become clichés for a reason, a very good reason. There just are some places with which you just shouldn’t do business. This might be one. 

On 7/5/2022 at 5:37 PM, MarkFeld said:

Yikes - I didn't dig too deeply into the seller, but you are right.  Horrendous feedback on eBay.  Nine separate bidders went in on it anyway. Oh boy. :whatthe:

On 7/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Yikes - I didn't dig too deeply into the seller, but you are right.  Horrendous feedback on eBay.  Nine separate bidders went in on it anyway. Oh boy. :whatthe:

Stupidity knows no bounds. 

On 7/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, VKurtB said:

....There just are some places with which you just shouldn’t do business....

[Maybe I should dispense with the "wordsmithing" and compile a list of such perilous places with a succinct notation why. If just one starry-eyed newbie benefits, I've made myself useful.]

On 7/5/2022 at 5:44 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[Maybe I should dispense with the "wordsmithing" and compile a list of such perilous places with a succinct notation why. If just one starry-eyed newbie benefits, I've made myself useful.]

I’m torn about that idea. On one hand, the reasons for many such places should be completely intuitive. On the other hand, younger folks seem to have been miseducated regarding the existence and locus of international evil. They seem to have been steeped in the tepid water of moral relativism. Many places are simply consumed by inescapable evil. 

Edited by VKurtB

On the other hand, there are many eBay listers, mostly dealers as I recall, who either will not sell internationally altogether, or cities specifically.  I can envision a caller in the Crimea credibly insisting, "Everything is fine here; the problem is in Mariupol and the Donbas." I do not believe I can come up with a suitable analogy for the United States, but maybe, just maybe an advisory thread could be started as a public service. China or Nigeria would vye for #1 on any contemplated Top Ten List of Iffy Places. 

On 7/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

On the other hand, there are many eBay listers, mostly dealers as I recall, who either will not sell internationally altogether, or cities specifically.  I can envision a caller in the Crimea credibly insisting, "Everything is fine here; the problem is in Mariupol and the Donbas." I do not believe I can come up with a suitable analogy for the United States, but maybe, just maybe an advisory thread could be started as a public service. China or Nigeria would vye for #1 on any contemplated Top Ten List of Iffy Places. 

...ur desire to protect the newbie is a positive one...but to explore the advisory thread? who is going to vet the advisors?...there r forum members i wouldnt want to take advice from or have them advising newbies...its prob a rabbit hole best left unentered....

On 7/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m torn about that idea. On one hand, the reasons for many such places should be completely intuitive. On the other hand, younger folks seem to have been miseducated regarding the existence and locus of international evil. They seem to have been steeped in the tepid water of moral relativism. Many places are simply consumed by inescapable evil. 

...what he said....

On 7/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s not easy to say in this PC era, but sometimes clichés become clichés for a reason, a very good reason. There just are some places with which you just shouldn’t do business. This might be one. 

Actually many people buy from Europe when it looks like the seller is professional and has good feedback.  However you never know when an account may be hijacked with dark forces taking over as apparently happened here.

Also adding to the mix is that the sexennial (every six years) XVI International Numismatic Congress is being held this September in Warsaw, Poland, unless the Russians show up uninvited in uniform. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, VKurtB said:

Also adding to the mix is that the sexennial (every six years) XVI International Numismatic Congress is being held this September in Warsaw, Poland, unless the Russians show up uninvited in uniform. 

...so thats what that word means, no wonder it wasnt working with the ladies as part of my introductory comments....

On 7/5/2022 at 8:13 PM, VKurtB said:

Clarification requested...

If an event occurs every six years, the sequence should be...0 - VI - XII - XVIII, or 0, 6, 12, 18.  Where exactly does the XVI, or 16th get shoehorned in?

On 7/5/2022 at 11:38 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Clarification requested...

If an event occurs every six years, the sequence should be...0 - VI - XII - XVIII, or 0, 6, 12, 18.  Where exactly does the XVI, or 16th get shoehorned in?

It’s the 16th Congress, and the USUAL time between them is 6 years, which means the first one was 96 years ago. This one got COVIDed and is a year late. 

Edited by VKurtB