• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quarter expert needed please. 1964-D Type C Reverse?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I do not have full obverse and reverse pics so I'm hoping this one picture will suffice, sorry.  I am not a Quarter collector, but I am aware that their is a type C reverse on a 1964-D Washington which exhibits more defined and detailed tail feathers.  I took this pic just a little while ago with coin in hand, but my phone battery died and this is all I have.  Is anyone able to say if these tail feathers appear consistent with the type C reverse?  Thank you.

IMG_7376.jpg

On 7/4/2022 at 7:14 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I believe it is a type C. Looks like it to me. Im still learning on these. 

Thanks Hoghead.  I have compared my pic to both the normal and the type C reverse.  To my eyes, there just seems to be quite a bit more definition present compared to the normal reverse design when viewing online pictures.  I believe there was a design change regarding the arrow tips and I believe the S in States on the type C from what I remember.  I was just not able to get enough pics of it before my phone died....go figure.  I know where it is though.

Edited by GBrad

On 7/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, tj96 said:

It's not that easy to find or understand @GBrad   This might help you.

Thank you tj. This is what I had seen before  in order to distinguish the reverse designs. I could not remember where I had read this. Thank you for posting these diagnostics again for me. I appreciate it!👍

Edited by GBrad

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The photos that tj96 posted are of the Type B used for proofs and a minority of 1964 Philadelphia currency strikes versus the Type A of normal 1964(P) and 1964-D currency strikes. The differences are easily seen, but they do little to assist in distinguishing the Type C 1964-D quarters struck with a clad hub reverse.

On the link provided, you should compare the Type A reverse of truly normal 1964-D quarters against the Type C. For these two the diagnostic points cited above are nearly indistinguishable. The most reliable way to distinguish a Type C strike is by its crisp E PLURIBUS UNUM and it very sharply defined wing feathers. The overall lower relief will jump out at you, too, once you've seen a few examples of the Type C.