• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

60 gram 13th century Spanish Gold Medallion
2 2

8 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2022 at 1:26 AM, Melior Invenidiste said:

Or what the numbers 44, 70, and 59 mean?

...possibly bingo numbers....

When I read a question like yours, I ask myself, What would I do? If time is not of the essence, I would "Ask NGC..." on the forum submitting photos in support of your request; call Stacks and Heritage Auctions, both now within blocks of each other in New York, mindful what you have is a medallion and not a coin (and they may insist on seeing it in hand, if a fax won't do.) I do not know if Nick Vagi of NGC could help. He grades Ancients. I could also try the Portuguese consulate (for a simple explanation). 

The photograph you've provided is superb and more than sufficient to answer your question. These are the options I believe are worth pursuing. 

The age at death of each of the named "saints" or other deities. (There are four numbers. Beginning with Elizabeth they are 59, 70, 44, and 54 matching the four chubby female profiles. Presumably the male is King Diniz, who is immortal and still knocking around the Iberian peninsula; hence the "HISP." inscription.)

Edited by RWB