• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington quarter set
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Your set is progressing nicely my friend and you are moving up the ranks in a very competitive and large series. Not an easy task by any means. I think it’s fun to watch the sets evolve over time as we become more seasoned collectors. It is very satisfying to upgrade a coin and even better when we can get ahold of one of those tough dates and keys. It is easy to fill slots in the beginning of any set and sometimes we get ahead of ourselves trying to fill holes. I did it, and there are plenty of other collectors that have as well. I consider that a learning experience and even those beginner coins teach us something. Teaches us to become more discerning and that’s when the collection starts to evolve. Your set is something to be proud of. Keep hammering my brother.

When you are first starting out this seems like it should be an easy set, only a couple of expensive keys, and most coins were high mintage.   But once you dive in you realize that it can be tougher than at the first glance, this is a tough set.  You have made great progress and have learned a lot along the way, and I look forward to seeing your completed set. (thumbsu

Nice going and I love my Washingtons too. I chose the proofs though from 1936 through 1967. Yes I think the SMS coins fit better as proofs. If you're patient you can find all 3 that look like proofs. Here's a thought for your mint state set, some 1965 SMS quarters have luster and no mirrors that would be a nice accent to your set !

I wish they wouldnt have included the 1950 d/s and s/d in this set. Wish they would have made a registry set for varieties to include those and a set with just regular dates and mm's. Those are gonna be very tough for me to get. Just as hard or harder than the 32 s and d. Wish they would change it and put those in a variety category. Or make another category without those. You would think that those being varieties they would be included in the variety section. 

[I have noted your #1 post position on the Leaderboard.  In addition to the kind feedback above, I should like to add your command of the English language and discerning eye with respect to coins, has improved dramatically. You are a fine role model having won favor with members from all walks of life. Congratulations!  Wishing you and yours a happy and safe Fourth.]  🐓 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing: addition of closing bracket.

On 7/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, numisport said:

Nice going and I love my Washingtons too. I chose the proofs though from 1936 through 1967. Yes I think the SMS coins fit better as proofs. If you're patient you can find all 3 that look like proofs. Here's a thought for your mint state set, some 1965 SMS quarters have luster and no mirrors that would be a nice accent to your set !

Soon as I finish this silver set Im gonna expand to proofs and clad coins. Ill probably go from 65 on to 98. Also want to put some SMS sets together. 

On 7/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I have noted your #1 post position on the Leaderboard.  In addition to the kind feedback above, I should like to add your command of the English language and discerning eye with respect to coins, has improved dramatically. You are a fine role model having won favor with members from all walks of life. Congratulations!  Wishing you and yours a happy and safe Fourth.]  🐓 

Thank you for the kind words my friend. Its been an honor to meet all the wonderful friends Ive met on here and to learn from the best of the best. I have great respect for all the members on here. Everyone has treated me wonderful. Finding this forum has been one of the greatest things Ive ever done. It is certainally been the best thing for my collection. Hopefully I will be able to pass some of the knowledge Ive been taught on here to others who are new in the hobby. 

On 7/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, Lem E said:

It is very satisfying to upgrade a coin and even better when we can get ahold of one of those tough dates and keys. 

Personally, I would not upgrade if choosing a set like this one.  Upgrading involves noticeable potential proportional "slippage", especially if working on a limited budget.

I infer from the OP that (many of) the earlier dates will be bought in AU.  The 44-D was mentioned where the counts are low because most submitted are in an MS grade.

I'd be inclined to just wait or, buy the coins ungraded submitting it myself.

I haven't checked prices in a few years (consistently anyway) but it's also one which I think isn't going to increase much proportionately.  So, I wouldn't be in a hurry for this reason either.

On 7/4/2022 at 8:24 PM, World Colonial said:

Personally, I would not upgrade if choosing a set like this one.  Upgrading involves noticeable potential proportional "slippage", especially if working on a limited budget.

I infer from the OP that (many of) the earlier dates will be bought in AU.  The 44-D was mentioned where the counts are low because most submitted are in an MS grade.

I'd be inclined to just wait or, buy the coins ungraded submitting it myself.

I haven't checked prices in a few years (consistently anyway) but it's also one which I think isn't going to increase much proportionately.  So, I wouldn't be in a hurry for this reason either.

I been spending between $20 and $150 per coin on this set. I paid a little more for a couple. I got the 44 D in a package deal when I bought a couple others. Im no hurry to upgrade it yet but its gonna drive me crazy if I dont one of these days knowing I can within my budget. I will definately have to take some lesser grades on the 32 d and s. My plans are eventually when I get to the coins in the 40s and a few of the 30s is putting back $50 or so out of each check till I save up $500 or so and try to get most of them in mint state if I can. But if I dont get to and have to settle for AU coins then I will be happy with those also. Been thinking about shopping around a bit and trying my hand at buying raw coins and submitting them myself. Ive learned alot over the past few years to learn what to watch for such as cleaned coins and lower and higher grades. 

Congratulations on putting that fine collection together.  Be careful.  I've paid the price a time or two on coins I thought were much nicer/lesser cleaned.  Happy Independence Day!

On 7/4/2022 at 8:39 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I been spending between $20 and $150 per coin on this set. I paid a little more for a couple. I got the 44 D in a package deal when I bought a couple others. Im no hurry to upgrade it yet but its gonna drive me crazy if I dont one of these days knowing I can within my budget. 

Makes sense.  If the grade matters to you, I'd buy the highest one before a big price jump.  Or buy one in a lower grade but with positive attributes which matter more to you.  On this series, I think I'd rather have a better strike and good luster and accept slightly more contact marks.

I will definately have to take some lesser grades on the 32 d and s. 

That would be a tough one for me, as I don't find the series attractive in lower grades, at all.  By lower, I'm including up to at least XF.   It's one which doesn't wear well.  It's the same problem with one of my previous ones, South Africa Union.  

My plans are eventually when I get to the coins in the 40s and a few of the 30s is putting back $50 or so out of each check till I save up $500 or so and try to get most of them in mint state if I can. But if I dont get to and have to settle for AU coins then I will be happy with those also. Been thinking about shopping around a bit and trying my hand at buying raw coins and submitting them myself. Ive learned alot over the past few years to learn what to watch for such as cleaned coins and lower and higher grades. 

Not sure if this matters to you but depending upon how long you intend to hold it, I think it's one more likely to lose value than gain it.  Exception is primarily due to potential changes in silver spot.  I hold this opinion for a variety of reasons expressed in prior posts.  I hold the same view for practically all 20th century and later US coinage.

On 7/5/2022 at 6:02 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@Hoghead515 I think you are in the process of really creating a nice set.  Your dedication shows in your well-written notes and the set itself.  This set has 85 coins, and you are over the halfway point.  It's definitely one that those boys would be proud to show-off - it's a very nice one!  I would love to have a quarter set like this!  

Good luck in the 2nd half - You got this!^^

Its been a lot of fun hunting them down. Ive learned alot about these and still yet have lots more to learn. 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:16 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Its been a lot of fun hunting them down. Ive learned alot about these and still yet have lots more to learn. 

[How many signs do you figure you've had to hang to get you this far?  Now that's a labor of love!]