• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strike Trough??
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I hope you are planning on a great 4th of July celebration.  I just picked up some M-80s and large Bottle Rockets.  The 4 of July is no fun without the destruction of something or rockets' red Glare!

I've recently been getting 'old' change from my purchases. I also got a 1908 Indian Head Penny, and $1Silver Certificate (pretty beat up).  Someone must have dumped a collection.  In this case, at the Burger King Drive thru I got this 1867 Shield Nickel in my change (and a near new 1943 Zinc/Steel Penny).

So, looking at the nickel more closely, it has the usual amount of wear, but I also noticed some damage.  I think it is an effort to turn it into jewelry because of the location, (drill) but the damage is also on the other side.  Unlikely a strike through, but I thought I'd ask.  It looks like a weak strike to begin with, (Ie: something on the die), but considering its 155 years old who knows.

And yes, I'm going back to Burger King often in hopes I'll get a 1/10 oz gold "Dime".  Not holding my breath!

God Bless,

Chris

20220702_115144.jpg

20220702_115202.jpg

20220702_115215.jpg

Hi,

Yeah, I think so too.  Not filled - there is no discoloration.  It was certainly struck - but I don't think it was "struck through" either.  But it sure makes going to Burger King tastier.  A Coin Collector's "Happy Meal"!

Thanks all.  Keep your fingers on this 4th!

On 7/2/2022 at 12:46 PM, Lem E said:

Looks like it may have been holed and plugged.

I also see it as a hole for a chain or a loop was attached to it at one time. It may have been filled 100 years ago and now it all looks the same. LoL

Edited by J P Mashoke

Yup, it's possible.  It looks to me as being a broken bit started to cut into it but broke the bit or it snapped out of the vise.  As old as that wound looks, it probably was before I was born.  Why fill it?  I remember seeing an article about punching a hole (paper or metal) to deface it, and a nickel was worth a lot more back then.  (Imagine getting a cup of coffee at Starbucks for a nickel??)

My bet is that someone was going to make a necklace or something.  But that is the fun of numismatology.  Hmmm...

On 7/2/2022 at 3:57 PM, Chris Mikesh said:

Yup, it's possible.  It looks to me as being a broken bit started to cut into it but broke the bit or it snapped out of the vise.  As old as that wound looks, it probably was before I was born.  Why fill it?  I remember seeing an article about punching a hole (paper or metal) to deface it, and a nickel was worth a lot more back then.  (Imagine getting a cup of coffee at Starbucks for a nickel??)

My bet is that someone was going to make a necklace or something.  But that is the fun of numismatology.  Hmmm...

I remember the drug store in town had a grill and you could get coffee or a soda for a nickel and a cheeseburger and fries was .75 c so a meal for under a buck. but a new car was under $2000 also......... LoL