• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the boards - a few questions about the protocols here
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Is there a thread for introductions where I should begin, (I made a dumb remark the other day, already)

is there a discussion about how to write descriptions of coins to sell; dos, don’ts?

Is there a thread to discuss, whine, diss, laugh at written descriptions of coins for sale.

Ray Tatum is not my name. 

Edited by Ray Tatum

On 6/30/2022 at 4:27 AM, Ray Tatum said:

Is there a thread for introductions where I should begin, (I made a dumb remark the other day, already)

is there a discussion about how to write descriptions of coins to sell; dos, don’ts?

Is there a thread to discuss, whine, diss, laugh at written descriptions of coins for sale.

1. No. You're welcome to introduce yourself with a post about coins, or whatever you like.

2. Not sure, but if so, pretty sure no one's paying it any attention.

3. Doubt there is a dedicated thread for that. I'd think one would just post in the sale listing thread. However, in general, dissing and laughing are probably going to have limited utility.

Best to merely ask-away and wait for members to request clarification. One irritation -- new collectors who assume they know about errors, doubled dies, and such things.

Thanks, dissing was a poor choice of word. However, a good chuckle is useful for our health. As a topic I would title it:

Unofficial whine thread about coins for sale–

Experts debunking photos and ads are educational. The information along with a bit of humor enlighten folk. It’s not for rants, but for discussing ad trickery, photo deception, and textual inconsistency. In the end it sorts wheat from chaff. I am ignorant about buying and selling coinage. 

I have a whine; is there a seller of “heritage” wrapped coin rolls who has the restraint to not sort, grade, and cull before he rewraps and offers them for sale; or cynically, who can, at least, manually retorque the endpaper well enough to snare me into a purchase?

Chime in, readers, as to whether you could tolerate, enjoy, or reject such a thread; or point me to where it already happens.

I started filling a Whitman penny volume 1 in 1961. I have a 1909 P that I got in change at the ‘64 NY World’s Fair. Sometime in my middle teens I stopped collecting and began to hoard pennies. Some fifty years later I have ten pounds plus.  I started sorting them. I’ve seen about 4,000. I have nothing remarkable maybe except for the tale I could tell about the struggle emptying a three gallon glass jug of bronze. I have two ms vdbs, that I got in a box of deskdrawer fodder at a rich dude’s estate sale twenty five years ago, that are not matte proofs, after all. 

On 6/30/2022 at 6:01 PM, Ray Tatum said:

...is there a seller of “heritage” wrapped coin rolls who has the restraint to not sort, grade, and cull before he rewraps and offers them for sale; or cynically, who can, at least, manually retorque the endpaper well enough to snare me into a purchase?

Unlikely.  Might be a few cent roll owners selling old caches of unc or circ coins, but most everything else is phony. Well....There are probably some who buy bags of circ silver, roll the coins then try to sell at inflated prices as "unsearched rolls." However, those circ bags have already been looked through, so unless you can find a bunch of 1919 dimes and pull a doubled die, you'll just have high priced silver.

Thanks—
If my bride caught me pulling dimes, or anything else, she’d toss me out. I collect business strikes and proofs before the mint started cameoing them. Cameoed bronzed zinc ain’t right to me. I have lipsticked a few sows before and know how I feel about buying one. I’m too old to start collecting slabs. I must look hard in my hoard to find pennies that are worthy of grading to use up my $150.00 chit from NGC.
I have to work out a couple of questions to ask on that subject later.

The Whitman volume one has no empty pocks. However, Half of them are slicks. So, I started organizing by rarity and no lower than AU. It’s down to the 1915 S. Here I am squandering retirement gold on uncertified key and semi-key Lincoln cents in eBay. It’s stupid money and I’’m paying high retail.
That is why I would like an ad debunking thread, as well as inviting you guys to let me know if you are transacting any pretty uncertified orphan cents..

Again, thanks for your interest in my post and your gentle replies—Craig.

RBW and JKK—you’ve been here a long time and did not express an opinion of the Whines abou… thread. That tells me that you do enough debunking without inviting more and do not need it. It would be beating a dead horse. It’s for us noobs; when you guys debunk something we learn.
Has anyone here searched -penny- on eBay

On 6/30/2022 at 9:13 PM, Ray Tatum said:

...I’m too old to start collecting slabs...Here I am squandering retirement gold on uncertified key and semi-key Lincoln cents in eBay. It’s stupid money and I’’m paying high retail...

Welcome Ray.  I guess I am a little confused by the above.  If you are spending big money on raw coins, but you would like a thread to debunk the bad coins, you really should consider buying graded - especially over eBay.  There are certainly enough cringeworthy sellers online, and graded coins allow you to know you are getting an authentic, problem-free coin.  You can find certified key dates in lower grades, too.  Just things to consider. 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:13 PM, Ray Tatum said:

Here I am squandering retirement gold on uncertified key and semi-key Lincoln cents in eBay. It’s stupid money and I’’m paying high retail.

Welcome....not sure why you are selling "retirement gold" (what kind ?  Modern bullion or pre-1933 ?) and putting it into more speculative U.S. Small Coins unless you are OK financially and just want to pursue your love for particular coins.

Have you checked out GC and HA for quality coins ?

The later, I prefer to collect business strike cents, don’t think that I have the time to speculate. If I buy gold or silver It’s bullion. Retirement gold means my pension. I always wanted an svdb, I fulfill a long desire.The biggest thrill I get comes from change, not buying it, but I ain’t going to find key and semi-key cents in my pocket. 

I like hearing that eBay can be a decent source. I thought that some of the slabbed Lincolns are a good deal. Some of them are less than the price of grading. I pick the low hanging fruit using misspelled search terms and “sellers other items” to see if they are coin sellers or rummage flippers who found a carded penny with “fine” written in a corner.

GC is the eBay seller with the attractive photo, dark background? Good to know, from their sold prices I can see that they accept many offers. HC is listed as HC on eBay?

Thank you for the help. I can see that the debunking thread is not necessary, except for comedy and eyeroll.

Who are the cent collectors? I will not add knowledge to this forum, plenty of naïveté, though. I’ve seen undeserved noob abuse on forums; you guys are nice,—Craig.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:29 AM, Ray Tatum said:

GC is the eBay seller with the attractive photo, dark background? Good to know, from their sold prices I can see that they accept many offers. HC is listed as HC on eBay?

GC = Great Collections.

Click here for GC website

HA = Heritage Auctions

Link Here

Be very wary of ebay sellers claiming "estate sale find" etc.

On 6/30/2022 at 4:27 AM, Ray Tatum said:

I also want to say thanks for actually asking before just blowing through and doing whatever the heck seems good at the moment. Very few people do so. You might have a hard time imagining how unwise and inconsiderate some new posters can be with regard to the environment of the people they are asking for information--but if you hang around, you'll see them in full cry.

Nice of you to say that, but I believe that polite comportment is the default. The folk camping forum ignored my posts until I introduced myself.

I participate in the thesamba forum (samba=23 or 21 window split screen VW bus). There has to be at least a million photos in the gallery. They used to play hardball, but tightened down about ten years ago. I lurked two years before I posted. I lurked here a while. 

The readers there got sick of so many new threads from new folk who never come back, Search results were so intimidating that a ‘How much is it worth thread” appeared. For people starting new threads to pose questions and gripe about prices, poor photography, sloppy text, (and broke ) about items in the classifieds, the official whines thread was a blessing that limits the carping to one place. It’s also pretty fun to read, chock with good info. If that is not a problem here then my suggestions are moot.

There are fewer models of VW’s than varieties of world coinage so these two fora are not symmetrical. I yet have to explore more here, find the small cent people, and absorb.. Thank for letting me wax, thanks for making me comfortable—Craig.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:39 PM, JKK said:

I also want to say thanks for actually asking before just blowing through and doing whatever the heck seems good at the moment. Very few people do so. You might have a hard time imagining how unwise and inconsiderate some new posters can be with regard to the environment of the people they are asking for information--but if you hang around, you'll see them in full cry.

Funny, I thought that I was slack. On my other fora they would have posted a link to the search bar. I did do some cursory searches before I gave up and posted.

Edited by Ray Tatum
Typo

Ray welcome to the forum! Who cares how long you lurked? You write intelligent , meaningful posts. I like reading them BTW, those 09SVDB coins are ridiculous now. When I started collecting a couple of years ago, one could be had for $600 ! Not anymore! That is the ONLY I need to conclude the Lincoln set to date. I loved the W one you pictured above. May be my best one!

That is the LFL cent. Thanks for the props. I won’t be giving expert opinions. And I am neither informed nor stupid enough to dispute the forum vets.I’m dropping error and DD from my lexicon. Most of my cents have mundane errors; And I will never own a DD without buying it.

I’ll foot my mouth eventually. 

After nearly croaking I thought “get that svdb you wanted since third grade”.

Welcome Ray, Always good to hear from another pocket change collector. I only recently started to collect graded coins but still do a lot of roll hunting looking for that odd looking coin to put in my error tray collection. I think you will find what you are looking for here. There are some well informed members here with a few good laughs to keep it fun.

Thanks for the welcome. I was on my way to Cape Cod once. We got hijacked by some Vinyardians who invited us to their place. On the ferry we thought, “we don’t know these people”. She feared mutilation of our bodies, I anticipated sitting at a dinner table as their quaint peasant entertainment for the week. It could not have been better.

I can’t read dates bare-eyed any longer. So, now, I no longer.block the folk in line behind me as I check dates at the register in the PetroMart; gratification delayed. Convenience stores near economically deprived urbs produce some nice rolls, and clerks know that I am going to ask them for the loosies in the penny bin. Especially in poor economies.

An employee at the PTA Thrift shop noticed me reading change and said she has tons of pennies (autocorrupt in iOS will not let you pluralize the word Pennie’s, [see?]) that She saves for my grandson’s education. She said that she would sell me them. They were so rich with bronze, sparse in zinc, with a few wheats too, that I told her that I would give a dollar per roll. She wraps four rolls a week. The other day I asked her to tell the other church ladies how to double the education accounts. I’ll see how that works.

As I read in here, I see the fun and the humor. I can’t turn my eyes from trainwreck threads and that matte Roosevelt dime thread is a prize forum read. Thanks to whomever revived that thread because I would have not read that deeply into the threads any time soon. Why did not someone tell Boudreaux to grade it so that ithe stink would go away three months after submission? It is very hard to resist the pile on. JKK, you’re not kidding about the fumduckers who post.

Wait until I’m ready to post pics and questions about my coinage.