• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1914 D Cent

9 posts in this topic

Hello, 

What do you guys think, should I send this in for grading? I'm still very new to collecting and have a lot to learn. To me this looks like it may grade F or maybe VF.  Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks 

DSC_0065_00001DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0066_00002DSC_0066.jpg

Of course it’s possible. Have seen quite a few of these.

All you have to do is remove the angled and cross stroke from a 4 to make it look like a 1. Only problem is that by doing that , the 1 is no longer centered between the 9 and 4. Also the mm is not in a recognized location for a 1914 cent. Hope that you didn’t buy this.

This is definitely an example of a well-known alteration of a 1944-D Lincoln cent to appear to be a 1914-D to those who have never examined a genuine one.  The mint mark is of a size and style introduced in 1933, not the smaller, narrower one used from 1911-1916.  The date is also too large too wide for 1914, and there is a telltale wide gap between the "9" and the purported "1".  I'm sure that if you examine the left side of the truncation (the bottom of but not underneath) of Lincoln's bust you will see the designer's initials "V.D.B." that do not appear there on coins minted before 1918.  I'm inserting the photo of the genuine coin appearing on the "NGC Coin Explorer" for comparison.  (In answer to your original question, the coin if genuine would have likely been considered too dark to numerically grade and most likely would have been described as "Very Fine details, environmental damage" or "corroded".)

5910048-010o.thumb.jpg.516c516ce3b6591958ad573952eed959.jpg

On 6/29/2022 at 3:45 PM, xxcardboardjunkiexx said:

What do you guys think, should I send this in for grading? I'm still very new to collecting and have a lot to learn. To me this looks like it may grade F or maybe VF.  Please let me know your opinion.

It "grades" C - for counterfeit/altered. It's worthless.