• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's one for ya.

20 posts in this topic

So long story short , I inherited my father in-laws collection, unfortunately all the slabs are sold he did that some years back. So I was left with a whole bunch of what do I do with these. I'm not a collector of Coins, so I'm pretty lost when it comes to their value, PCSG, NGC, USAcoinbook.com and eBay seem to be my only source of their value. I have found a shop that has helped me out but I have a feeling he's making a little more profit off me then someone whos in the know.  He has told me that I have some coins that I should get graded ASAP. But then told me 1 of them was a fake and if I wanted to sell it he would buy it for significantly less then book or eBay value. So I guess my question is where can I go for prices of ungraded coins, either locally or on the internet.

Thank you in advance

Identifying a fake then offering money for it is not a very good look by that dealer. If it's counterfeit, it's worth nothing; why then would he want it? That would be a red flag for experienced collectors.

I would search Ebay sold listings for comparables on the coins. You will need to have some idea of the grade. For that, you can either learn grading yourself or post them here (please see guidelines stuck at top of forum) and ask for opinions. Do bear in mind that coins typically have three prices: what a dealer will pay you, what a collector will pay you, and what a retailer will sell it for.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:14 AM, xxcardboardjunkiexx said:

Its a 1916 D mercury dime. 

Do you have the ability to post nice clear in focus cropped photos of each side of the 16-D dime along with a clear closeup of the mintmark?   Getting a second opinion is a smart idea and with good photos we may be able to confirm if you have a counterfeit.   As you said your father-in-law sold all his coins in slabs previously, that could indicate that he may have known that this coin was not genuine.   While it may look bad for the dealer to offer you what may seem like a low ball offer for it, some collectors and dealers like to collect counterfeits, so without any other information to go on I will stop short of condemning the dealers actions.

As to prices, the first order of business is are you confident that you can assess and accurately grade the coins you have.   Because in order to price a coin you have to know what the grade is in order to do any research.   Once you have it graded then you can search through a retail site like Ebay as @JKK suggested, be sure to only search completed listings to see what coins in the same grade have actually sold for.   Another resource is a publication called "The Gray Sheet", this is a paid subscription service so you would need to weigh the cost vs the benefit, and again you would need to know the grades for the publication to be of any use.

He said the D looked altered, I said the coin would probably grade just above good why alter it?

On 6/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, Just Bob said:

I would like to know what this dealer saw to determine this coin was counterfeit.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:29 PM, xxcardboardjunkiexx said:

He said the D looked altered, I said the coin would probably grade just above good why alter it?

Because a 1916 Philly dime in this condition is worth $1ish depending on silver melt values, however, a 16-D even in a low grade like this is worth around 1K if in a top TPG slab.   That is plenty of incentive for counterfeiters to create as many fake 16-D's as they can.    While I am no expert on the series the mintmark does look off to me, I think the dealer is being honest with you on his assessment.   But if real this is a valuable coin, it may be worth it to send it to one of the less expensive TPG services for authentication.   ANACS offers some very budget friendly options and might be worth taking a look at if you want to be sure about this coin's authenticity.   Of course NGC is a top TPG for coins and if you want to send to our hosts that is a slightly more expensive but solid option as well.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, Just Bob said:

I would like to know what this dealer saw to determine this coin was counterfeit.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

Because a 1916 Philly dime in this condition is worth $1ish depending on silver melt values, however, a 16-D even in a low grade like this is worth around 1K if in a top TPG slab.   That is plenty of incentive for counterfeiters to create as many fake 16-D's as they can.    While I am no expert on the series the mintmark does look off to me, I think the dealer is being honest with you on his assessment.   But if real this is a valuable coin, it may be worth it to send it to one of the less expensive TPG services for authentication.   ANACS offers some very budget friendly options and might be worth taking a look at if you want to be sure about this coin's authenticity.   Of course NGC is a top TPG for coins and if you want to send to our hosts that is a slightly more expensive but solid option as well.

I do plan on sending it, most likely NGC.  

I'm going to be going to the Long Beach show , does anyone know if NGC will be doing live grading? Being a card collector I know that Beckett and PSA have been know to do live grading at some of the bigger shows.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:32 PM, xxcardboardjunkiexx said:

I'm going to be going to the Long Beach show , does anyone know if NGC will be doing live grading? Being a card collector I know that Beckett and PSA have been know to do live grading at some of the bigger shows.

I live in Portland and our club has an annual show to which ANACS shows up for live grading. Long Beach being much bigger, seems likely NGC would be there.

If you actually own that 61 Maris, and if envy were one of my flaws, I'd be envying you with a mighty envying. Sweet centering.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:32 PM, xxcardboardjunkiexx said:

Get several opinions, not only from a grading firm. Check with dealers who specialize in Mercs. 

This coin appears likely genuine to me, although there are so many purported 1916-D dimes that have added mint marks or are counterfeit that only a grading service's (ANACS, NGC or PCGS) judgment would make the coin readily marketable. The February 1997 issue of The Numismatist contains an article entitled "Authenticating the 1916-D Dime" by J.P. Martin (pp. 205-06).  The article includes photos and descriptions of the mint mark styles and positions on the four known reverse dies used to strike 1916-D dimes.  Your coin appears to match the photo for "Reverse Die #3", although the amount of wear on your coin makes the mint mark look fatter and with a smaller opening.  Martin noted that "added mint marks seldom are found on coins grading less than Very Good", such as yours.

If determined to be genuine, I think the coin would be found to grade one of G4 (due to the weak areas of the rim), G6 (due to the relatively strong central detail) or "Good details, cleaned" due to the "off" shade of gray and possible hairlines.  Even if it is cleaned, the value would be high enough to warrant certification.  (I wouldn't recommend that any circulated "Mercury" dime be submitted other than a 1916-D or the 1942/1941 overdates.)

On 6/30/2022 at 5:14 PM, xxcardboardjunkiexx said:

How would I go about finding an appraiser, does anyone have any recommendations in the Los Angeles area? What would  you think the cost of something like that would be?

Truthfully, I’d sit on it until the Long Beach show. Edit: TODAY AND TOMORROW, then again the end of September. 

Edited by VKurtB