• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the grade on my St. Gaudens Double Eagle correct?

39 posts in this topic

Nobody on these Forums should be relying on YouTube when you have this place for information and advice.

And if we don't have an answer -- unlikely -- we can at least direct you somewhere that does. xD

If you are going to return the coin some of the larger dealers require you to notify them you want to return/exchange the coin no-questions-asked within 7 days of receiving a coin, and keep the original packaging.

eBay and many of the larger online dealers also have a 30 day return if you don't receive what you ordered.  That can include that the coin ordered doesn't at least match the quality of the photos in the listing.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 6/23/2022 at 3:15 AM, silvergold1700 said:

I recently ordered a MS-65 from an online bullion dealer

As Coinbuf indicated larger online bullion & coin dealers use stock photos for the listings.  So You need to carefully check out the coin in-hand, which should be done anyway.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Always best to buy a coin that is in front of you when possible.  Try attending a coin show or visit your LCS or even an auction that has Hi-Def pics like at HA and GC.  You may pay a bit more (maybe not)....but you'll LOVE the coin. (thumbsu

I periodically buy gold bullion coins from a large online dealer and have found you can't beat the prices with a stick.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:54 PM, silvergold1700 said:

No budget, but I see coins as an investment, so I don’t want to buy anything that has a high premium which might drop.  

Stick to bullion bars if you are just looking for a straight investment, and some of them actually look pretty nice - just not as nice as coins.  I buy gold bullion coins occasionally knowing it will be more difficult even to get back the initial investment due to the much larger spread for coins vs. bars, simply because I like the way bullion coins look better than bars.

2020 1 oz American Gold Eagle BU Apmex $2040.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I am not a fan of ANY cleaning of coins. Whatever environment/bad handling/improper storage caused a spot on a coin, the surface has already undergone change from the original surface which cannot be reversed. Using an eraser is the same as using sandpaper. Keep rubbing an eraser over the same spot on a piece of paper. You will eventually rub a hole through the paper. You will immediately damage the soft surface of a gold or silver coin. I also am not a fan of all these people using acetone (or any other solvent). It may remove a spot from the surface because it also is damaging the entire surface at the same time. I am curious to know if acetone imparts a chemical residue to the surface of a coin after it is dipped. Maybe someone on here has insight to that. NGC will tell you that a warm water rinse of the coin [WITHOUT RUBBING WITH THE FINGERS] is the best you can do to remove surface dirt and let the coin air dry on a microfiber cloth without rubbing, but anything beyond that is going to result in a ruined coin with details grade.

Back to your original issue, I am in agreement with the others, as I am into most silver (Morgans, Peace, Trade, Barber, Franklins, Walkers, halves, quarters...................) and grade does not equate the same eye appeal of a coin, only its surface and devices since being minted relating to wear and nicks and scratches. There are heavily and unevenly toned Morgans and Peace dollars of MS 65 grade as well as gorgeous white cartwheel luster of the same MS 65.

You must be happy with the coin or forever have it bother you. Always make purchases from sellers that do not use stock photos (those that sell in quantity as in 15sold/more than 10 available) are using stock photos and I will not even buy from these sellers as you definitely will not get the coin you think you will get, and I don't have the time to be endlessly returning coins. Also, always buy from sellers that accept returns. Those that do not accept returns will likely have you end up in bitter disappointment when you receive the coin. When it comes to a coin as yours that is not unique or a case where there may only be five or ten known, but plenty of others out there with the same grade, get your money back and use it to find one that is pleasing to your eye.

On 2/16/2023 at 1:09 AM, powermad5000 said:

I am not a fan of ANY cleaning of coins.

In the case of pre-1933 gold, I think any black or copper spots are part of the history of the making of these coins metallic composition and the methods employed at the time.

I certainly would be careful about buying with any minor imperfections on a coin with a big premium to bullion value.  But for modest premiums or bullion substitutes it's probably not a big thing.  MS-66 and above for commons, 63ish for semi-rares, those would be my general threshold limits for tolerating any spotting.

Back in 2015, I sent my AU58 1849-D G$1 to NCS to remove a fiber on the coin and clean up grime in the D mintmark, and lettering of UNITED STATES on the reverse.

The coin came back and only the fiber had been removed.  I sent it back to NCS yet again and when it came back the 2nd time the grime had been removed and the coin had upgraded to AU58+.  It's a small coin and looks beautiful in its new Scratch-Resistant EdgeView holder.

Crossing over several coins over the years, PCGS to NGC, on a few occasions the coins came back with "+" upgrades from NGC.  This inspired me to submit any "+" coins I had to CAC and my batting average stands at 67%.

Of the 3 coins that were submitted for CAC, only the NCS conserved coin did not get the "bean."

I was looking at the coin with my jeweler's loop yesterday, direct sunlight from a window, and on the reverse side I noticed slight orangey discoloration where the grime had used to be.  Doesn't bother me in the least.  Please realize that this coin is the smallest coin in the collection, with a mere 13mm diameter, and whereas the grime used to stand out, now nothing is noticed… unless you want to disparage microscopic "hues."

Having the mintmark conserved of the grime within it, leaving nothing to be seen, made the coin really come into its own, and I'm very proud to own this beautiful coin.