• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1800 Half Cent
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I've been looking for the possible tolerances on the weight of an 1800 Half Cent, I wasn't for sure if there was one listed somewhere. The coin I have is probably a counterfeit, but was curious for the future thanks. 

WIN_20220507_17_24_19_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220507_17_24_28_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220507_17_24_02_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220507_17_24_36_Pro.jpg

On 6/22/2022 at 3:24 AM, blinewalker said:

I've been looking for the possible tolerances on the weight of an 1800 Half Cent, I wasn't for sure if there was one listed somewhere. The coin I have is probably a counterfeit, but was curious for the future thanks. 

Not sure what the +/- is but nominal weight would be 5.44g, and yes fake.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Genuine 1800 half cents have the old style reverse leftover from 1795-97. The left and right sides of the wreath meet at the top with single leaves, not the double leaves seen on the right side of the subject coin. See the photo for the correct reverse.

11051-2.jpg

This is a member of a well known family of fakes.  As mentioned the reverse style is wrong for 1800, and in fact is the reverse die of 1804 C-6.  ALL dates of draped bust half cents can be found from this counterfeiter, with this reverse die..