• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for ancient price guides retail $ wholesale
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Thank you for taking the  time  to respond to my inquiry. I just started delving in ancients and decided upon slabs to ensure, i hope, authenticity.  Bought the lot and wanted to include them in my collectors insurance policy. Im just not sure if the purchase price is acceptable. Best I dig into the auctions for   similar coins to accomplish that task. Perhaps it will allow me to develop a comfort zone to move outside of slabs and actually hold the coin in my hands. Thanks again. 

On 6/20/2022 at 8:21 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Thank you hoop and zadok. Ive been thinking for a long time about venturing into ancients. We do have 4 ancient coins already. That helped clear a few things up for me. 

Ancients can be tough in the beginning, but if you like history it can be incredibly rewarding.  I can't count the number of times, I'd spent hours trying go attribute a low grade, late Roman bronze (LRB) only to put it back in the drawer for later. 

However, as I paged through the Reference books or wildwinds site, I was always finding something else that was interesting.  While that ratty $2 LRB may still be a ratty $2 LRB 20 years later, I learned so much during the "painful" attribution process and I can't put a price on that. Invaluable

On 6/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, Walter Holmes said:

Thank you for taking the  time  to respond to my inquiry. I just started delving in ancients and decided upon slabs to ensure, i hope, authenticity.  Bought the lot and wanted to include them in my collectors insurance policy. Im just not sure if the purchase price is acceptable. Best I dig into the auctions for   similar coins to accomplish that task. Perhaps it will allow me to develop a comfort zone to move outside of slabs and actually hold the coin in my hands. Thanks again. 

...one additional bit of advice, if u as a newbie to ancients r going to spend significant money to buy raw ancients...be sure u buy from well established, well respected ancient coin dealers....