• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Last Time A Cheerios Dollar Was Graded
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Dave-

Without giving away any company secrets, would you be able to tell us the last time NGC graded a 2000-P Sacagawea Cheerios Dollar? 

If I'm looking at all the TPG'er pop reports correctly, (in the big scheme of things) there doesn't seem to have been very many of these dollar coins graded over the years.  Much less then the estimated 5,500 put in Cheerios boxes.  Which tells me many more may still be floating around out there or in the bottom of some kids sock draw. 

I'm just wondering if the grading of these Cheerios Dollars has completely dropped off in recent years and when that was.

If you can't no problem, I understand.

Thanks!

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I see one graded in 2021 and another in 2022. It appears that these were the only ones certified by NGC subsequent to 2011 or so.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:03 AM, DWLange said:

I see one graded in 2021 and another in 2022. It appears that these were the only ones certified by NGC subsequent to 2011 or so.

Wow! Really? Only two in the past few years.  That would re-enforce my thoughts.      It would seem there are still many out there to be found.   Thanks for that reality check Dave!

Edited by tj96

On 6/20/2022 at 10:29 AM, tj96 said:

Wow! Really? Only two in the past few years.  That would re-enforce my thoughts.      It would seem there are still many out there to be found.   Thanks for that reality check Dave!

I would not reach that conclusion at all. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

It would seem there are still many out there to be found.

On the contrary, I believe it means that people searched high and low for them when new, and all or most were certified early on. It's very unlikely that more than a very few additional pieces will be found.

On 6/20/2022 at 4:16 PM, DWLange said:

It would seem there are still many out there to be found.

On the contrary, I believe it means that people searched high and low for them when new, and all or most were certified early on. It's very unlikely that more than a very few additional pieces will be found.

Thanks again for the on-going feedback Dave.

So, "if" I'm correctly reading all the TPG'ers pop reports on this Cheerios dollar, this is what I'm seeing.

Total graded/certified

NGC-      42

PCGS-  143

ANACS-   9

This small dollar website indicates about 5,500 were but in Cheerios cereal boxes.   Again, if I'm looking at the numbers correctly there seems to be a big discrepancy. 

http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page20c.html

The total number of these coins that were struck is unknown. However, the number of these coins that can potentially be in collector's hands is 5,500. That is the number of "Cheerios Dollars" released in cereal boxes. Undoubtedly, many of the "Cheerios Dollars" were opened and spent, or thrown in a drawer and forgotten about, making them VERY hard to come by.

Here is my thinking - most of them are still in original Cheerios packaging and the people who got them don’t even know, or care (Imagine THAT!) about third party grading. 

On 6/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, VKurtB said:

Here is my thinking - most of them are still in original Cheerios packaging and the people who got them don’t even know, or care (Imagine THAT!) about third party grading. 

So you're saying there are several thousand still out there in original packaging that people don't know or care about this coin?  I guess that's one possible theory. 

Unless I'm missing it, I don't even see them for sale in the original packaging.

On 6/20/2022 at 8:36 PM, tj96 said:

So you're saying there are several thousand still out there in original packaging that people don't know or care about this coin?  I guess that's one possible theory. 

Unless I'm missing it, I don't even see them for sale in the original packaging.

They were distributed to a population even less coin savvy than the typical YouTube inspired newbie we see here. Let that sink in for a few minutes. 

Some were saved, but I think many just got spent by non collectors over the years.  If that's the case, there should be examples out there to be found?

However, how many are out there?  Let's take an unlikely large number of 4000 Cheerios dollars were spent. The mintage of 2000P sackies was just over 767 million coins.  In a perfect world using these numbers, your chances of finding one are approx 0.0005% or 5 in 1 million. And that assumes every coin you look at is a 200P sacky

So the small numbers of new finds being sent for grading are likely just due to the numbers.  How many people are searching for them?  What percentage are 200P?  How many 2000P are in the active CRH rotation (that you can get from commercial banks) and how many are squirrel ed away in vaults waiting years (decades?) to see the light of day. 

Or who knows, maybe they got sent to Ecuador or some other country that uses dollar coins for commerce :kidaround:

On 6/20/2022 at 10:20 PM, VKurtB said:

They were distributed to a population even less coin savvy than the typical YouTube inspired newbie we see here. Let that sink in for a few minutes. 

A second ago you said; most of them are still in original Cheerios packaging.  But now you're saying; They were distributed to a population even less coin savvy than the typical YouTube inspired newbie we see here. Let that sink in for a few minutes. 

So which is it?  If these people aren't savvy, why are they keeping them in original packaging and not spending them?

95% of the public did not know the 2000P sac in the cheerios box was a special strike coin. To myself it was a piece of play money. and most moms were in charge of breakfast. I went to work. I am sure most of the coins got spent at the market. 

On 6/20/2022 at 10:25 PM, tj96 said:

A second ago you said; most of them are still in original Cheerios packaging.  But now you're saying; They were distributed to a population even less coin savvy than the typical YouTube inspired newbie we see here. Let that sink in for a few minutes. 

So which is it?  If these people aren't savvy, why are they keeping them in original packaging and not spending them?

They were kept as a cool keepsake in a “junk drawer”, just like every dollar coin and half dollar. 

The very slow drip drip drip will likely continue for quite many years. There doesn’t seem to be a very high volume way to get these pieces out of the hands of those who got them originally, and those who will treat them as a desirable numismatic item. 
Sacs circulate extremely unevenly - not at all in most places, and like crazy in a few, mostly where they are used in vending machines and transit systems. I do know that in 2016, the CalTrans system’s ticket machines gave Sacs in change. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/20/2022 at 10:27 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Let's take an unlikely large number of 4000 Cheerios dollars were spent. The mintage of 2000P sackies was just over 767 million coins.  In a perfect world using these numbers, your chances of finding one are approx 0.0005% or 5 in 1 million

Anther problem you have is not all of the Cheerios dollars had the prototype reverse.  What percentage had the prototype reverse I don't know.  But for the one that don't, once they are removed from the Cheerios packaging there is no way to differentiate them from any of the other 2000 P sac dollars.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:25 PM, tj96 said:

If these people aren't savvy, why are they keeping them in original packaging and not spending them?

If they aren't savvy, they may have spent them, or they may have just tossed the package in a drawer somewhere.  After all, to them it's no big deal, just a dollar.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:25 AM, J P Mashoke said:

95% of the public did not know the 2000P sac in the cheerios box was a special strike coin.

Make that 100%.  The prototype reverse wasn't identified until a few years later.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:05 AM, RWB said:

Same question has appeared ATS....

I guess we all don't use the same username on the various forums.  No reason not to hedge your bets and go for the maximum coverage 

I would have thought a direct call or email to the TPG asking for the appropriate person who could answer the question would be simpler than going through all the "middlemen" on the forum, but I guess a forum post could give additional feedback

On 6/23/2022 at 12:53 PM, Oldhoopster said:

I guess we all don't use the same username on the various forums.  No reason not to hedge your bets and go for the maximum coverage 

I would have thought a direct call or email to the TPG asking for the appropriate person who could answer the question would be simpler than going through all the "middlemen" on the forum, but I guess a forum post could give additional feedback

That was the first thing I did.  I wish the pop reports would have indicated it somewhere. 

On 6/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, tj96 said:

That was the first thing I did.  I wish the pop reports would have indicated it somewhere. 

That would be a reasonable thing to do. If it's somehow "special" then it should have a separate row among the Sac dollars.

Notice the differing discussion ATS.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:47 PM, RWB said:

That would be a reasonable thing to do. If it's somehow "special" then it should have a separate row among the Sac dollars.

Notice the differing discussion ATS.

What exactly is ATS?

On 6/23/2022 at 1:04 PM, tj96 said:

What exactly is ATS?

Across the street. It’s a reference to PCGS’ forum. 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:09 PM, VKurtB said:

Across the street. It’s a reference to PCGS’ forum. 

Oh, got it.  Thanks!  So I guess you guys got my point.  More eye are better then fewer eye.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, tj96 said:

Oh, got it.  Thanks!  So I guess you guys got my point.  More eye are better then fewer eye.

A very good rule to live by. 

On 6/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, VKurtB said:

A very good rule to live by. 

Yes I agree, thanks.  You should also check out CT, coin community, CONECA, CoinWorld and VAMWorld for your viewing pleasure.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:18 PM, tj96 said:

Yes I agree, thanks.  You should also check out CT, coin community, CONECA, CoinWorld and VAMWorld for your viewing pleasure.

Or you can choose to be as OCD as I am about holding it in my own hands before buying. That way I choose the lighting, not the seller/photographer. 

You should know that this thread has caused me to add an item to my numismatic “to do” list - check my 2000P Sacs for 001’s while I’m checking my 43-S cent roll for overdates. 

On 6/23/2022 at 3:06 PM, VKurtB said:

You should know that this thread has caused me to add an item to my numismatic “to do” list - check my 2000P Sacs for 001’s while I’m checking my 43-S cent roll for overdates. 

Exactly!  That's the goal...  Or it should be.  Share as much information with others as possible.  I'm not an expert but whatever value I can add to the process to help others makes it worth it.  I'm learning from others here as well.  On more then one occasion, I've cherrypicked something from my own collection I didn't even know I had! 

On 6/23/2022 at 5:29 PM, RWB said:

Nickname for the PCGS message boards.

Now you have me wondering what their nickname is for you or this forum?  😆  😉

On 6/23/2022 at 5:41 PM, tj96 said:

Now you have me wondering what their nickname is for you or this forum?  😆  😉

The NGC forum goes by the same nickname when posting over there: ATS.

As for me personally, doesn't matter.