• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin worth getting graded?

8 posts in this topic

Hello,   I have a 1893 Columbian half dollar.  I have seen prices on the internet anywhere from $20 to several hundred.  So it is hard for me to tell if it is worth the money to have this coin graded.  Any help is appreciated

Columbian obverse 2.jpg

Columbian Reverse 2.jpg

It looks to be in very good shape AU maybe. Very clean ? I am always looking at these on line to buy. Many of them I see for sale as details improperly cleaned not sure why people like to clean these coins. I am not saying yours has been cleaned. It is to hard to tell from this photo. That is the chance you may be taking if you send it in for grading.

What is cool about this coin, besides being silver and 1892, it was a collaboration between George T Morgan and Charles E Barber two of the best known designers that have been involved with coins. I have one but it is not as nice as this one. I would  venture a guess in the $30-60 area..

nice keeper!

On 6/18/2022 at 4:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

The photos present a cleaned AU, not worth the money (to me) from a financial viewpoint, but many people have coins slabbed for reasons other than only financial reasons.

I have a very nice 1892 but I’m having difficulty finding a similar quality 1893. Lots of them I see are circulated. 

I'm attaching a photo of an 1893 Columbian half dollar graded MS 65 by NGC--several decades ago based on the style of the label--that I just bought at auction for $216.  If you compare these photos to those of your coin, you will note the full detail, frosty luster and relatively mark free surfaces on this coin as compared to yours.  It is questionable whether the coin I just bought would be worth submitting for third party grading if it were uncertified, as this would now cost $23 for the grading fee alone submitted at NGC's "economy" tier for coins valued below $300, plus a $10 processing fee per order and the cost of shipping and insurance.  In my opinion, coins worth under $600 or so aren't really worth certifying, and unless you're keen on building registry sets, you should enjoy such coins in albums or other traditional holders or buy them already certified if you can find them at reasonable prices, benefiting from someone else's mistake or a dealer's bulk discount.

As a new collector you should study grading guides and other print and online resources, as well as the coins themselves, so that you can rely on your own judgment, not a grading service's, even when you buy certified coins.

1893 Columbian commem. obv..jpg

1893 Columbian commem. half dollar rev..jpg