• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you separate fact from fiction?
3 3

35 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

However, I assume whoever bought the coin (7-figures) was aware of that.

Don't be overly sure....

OK. Simple answer w/o footnotes.

Dies received late April 16.

First coins struck afternoon of April 17. Ten (approx) for distribution, then rest run a power until reverse die broke just short of 1,000 pieces.

Only coins from this die pair, called VAM-60, were made the first day. No other coins share this reverse.

The so-called "Specimen" is merely an early strike off a new die pair. It has not connection to the first coins struck at SF. There is no documentation about it being specially made, or any other unique circumstances. Therefore, it earns no special designation, and no special label.

Further the word "Specimen" is undefined and has no meaning.

<<<  Further the word "Specimen" is undefined and has no meaning.  >>>

That's my big question in this thread.......so what does PCGS actually mean by 'specimen'?  Maybe some here confuse the term with BMP?

On 7/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, dragon said:

That's my big question in this thread.......so what does PCGS actually mean by 'specimen'?  Maybe some here confuse the term with BMP?

The term is defined in different ways by different people at different times. Nobody seems to like that.  All five 1913 V-Nickels are described as specimens.  The other day I learned for the first time that Snakes and Mules co-exist peaceably in two different realms of "numismythology."

On 7/1/2022 at 10:39 PM, dragon said:

Doubtful if they know. There far too much guess work and not enough solid factual research.

The US Mint's historical usage is ambiguous. Most of the time "specimen" has it's common language meaning as a sample or example of something. But it is also used in a more narrow sense as a coin or coins made and handled individually as specific examples of how the coin should appear. (This is seen when a new denomination was introduced and the branch mints were sent "specimens of the new coin" to guide the coiner in product appearance. These are equivalent to engineering specifications for parts.)

In a few instances "specimen" clearly refers to a specially made or preserved example either as a ceremonial product -- 1892 Columbian half #1 for example -- or as a proof-format piece intended for official review -- 1921 & 1922 proof Peace dollars -- Congressional examination, or sale.