• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification. **Final result update**
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I bought this ungraded coin, and the only other one I've seen is one graded by PCGS.  Their coin info doesn't give a KM#.

My question is:  anyone know of an NGC identifier number, or a KM #?    My goal is to send this in to be graded and would like to save the NGC folks the effort of trying to identify the coin and myself the "figuring out what this is fee"

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Jamie

2A8E0C4C-BE52-4922-A969-6F4B427FA2EC.jpeg

76AE175D-09BA-4D14-9649-59EE05063DF7.jpeg

2A32FAAF-BF31-4998-90B9-301B27ED6CBB_1_101_o.jpeg

Edited by JamieinMN

On 6/14/2022 at 10:47 PM, JamieinMN said:

I bought this ungraded coin, and the only other one I've seen is one graded by PCGS.  Their coin info doesn't give a KM#.

It's a medal, so it won't have a KM#. 

I don't know if NGC will graded it but here is a list of some of the references that they use for German medals.

• Germany
    • Balloon, Zepplin & Aircraft Medals, as listed in Kaiser
    • Karl Goetz Medals, as listed in Kienast*
    • Medals, as listed in Zetzmann
Edited by Fenntucky Mike

On 6/15/2022 at 6:19 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's a medal, so it won't have a KM#. 

Now this is an interesting little tidbit. 🤔  

On 6/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, gmarguli said:

I'm not sure how accurate the lists of "what we will grade" are. Seems like they'll grade just about anything they can figure out what it is. 

What it is is a Death of Paul Von Hindenburg medal minted by L. Christian Lauer. Beyond that, I'm not sure if there are any reference books of medals minted by Lauer.

It's not super rare as I've seen them around, but it's not close to the more common design ones that are everywhere. An example sold last year in a Moller auction along with another medal for $73.

I sent off the medal along with other coins to NGC earlier this week.  I'll report back on what they do with it.   Thanks for the help!

Von Hindenberg was considered the architect of a united Germany. Respect for him was so great that he might have been able to stop the Nazi disaster. Instead, he bought into the Nazi program and supported Hitler for Chancellor.

Edited by RWB

I myself been collecting a lot of German coinage for last few year ,since my heritage is from Baden Germany . I find information on German medals rather difficult to look up on the US market written in English and if there is a book or an old catalog ? It cost tons and tons , lately I been buying some old catalog here and there on German coins for my library I do prefer to rely on hard copies than to just look stuff up online …

If anyone likes german Talers ? I recommend buying John S. Davenport book series (catalog) on German Talers very enjoyable book to to own and read over although the books can be a little pricey here and there but there is some good deals out there 

@RWB it been awhile since I been back on here , but I always enjoy your wealth of knowledge on history you remind me of my old history teacher back in High school 

On 4/6/2023 at 6:22 PM, Jason Abshier said:

I find information on German medals rather difficult to look up ...

I collect some German coins, and if I am looking for information on them I usually check out the Numista.com (https://en.numista.com/catalogue) and uCoin,net (https://en.ucoin.net/catalog) sites to see if they have the info I am looking for.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:16 PM, EagleRJO said:

I collect some German coins, and if I am looking for information on them I usually check out the Numista.com (https://en.numista.com/catalogue) and uCoin,net (https://en.ucoin.net/catalog) sites to see if they have the info I am looking for.

Thanks for the links … yes I have used Numista for information also, the second link you sent me I have used that one sparsely in past I forgotten about that link been long while since I checked out that one . Thanks again I’ll be saving that information for future reference.