• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 90% silver quarter????

15 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 7:57 PM, Greenstang said:

Your new picture shows the copper core so it can’t be silver.

If you get a new scale, make sure it is accurate to at least two decimal points.

Okay! Thanks guys I feel stupid now 😅

I may be seeing it wrong, but it looks like a bit of copper showing on the edge.

The scale definitely needs to read to two decimal places at a minimum in a case such as this. A silver quarter weighs 6.25 grams on average, while a clad one weighs 5.67. Either of these weights would round to 6 on a scale that only weighs to the closest gram.

Now I see the new pic, and Greenstang's response, that were posted as I was typing my response. Definitely clad.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, Just Bob said:

I may be seeing it wrong, but it looks like a bit of copper showing on the edge.

The scale definitely needs to read to two decimal places at a minimum in a case such as this. A silver quarter weighs 6.25 grams on average, while a clad one weighs 5.67. Either of these weights would round to 6 on a scale that only weighs to the closest gram.

Now I see the new pic, and Greenstang's response, that were posted as I was typing my response. Definitely clad.

Very new at this always keep trying to get into it but it's hard!!!! I never know what to keep or not and I'm a coin hoarder 🤣😅

On 6/13/2022 at 8:03 PM, Harold Biswick said:

Very new at this always keep trying to get into it but it's hard!!!! I never know what to keep or not and I'm a coin hoarder 🤣😅

Keep learning and take your time.  Items like 1965 silver quarters are blue moon, super rare items.  Some of us here are into coin roll hunting (CRH), and being disappointed is part of the job description.  I have only found two silver quarters (pre 1964), and I have been through tens of thousands of quarters... so, don't feel bad.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, Harold Biswick said:

For new collector, you figured out the hard part in getting the weight (even the it was the wrong balance), so that's pretty good

But you whiffed on the easy part of checking the edge.  Doh

Don't worry, it will come together for you and I think you'll be fine

Finding any silver coins dated after 1965 in circulation is very rare. Some early Kennedys and Ike's are 40% silver Most would have to be from special sets or strikes that were broken out. I would recommend buying a Redbook for a reference guide to anyone who likes coins. 

On 6/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, Harold Biswick said:

No need to feel that way ... baby steps.. your doing good on step 1... now keep going

On 6/14/2022 at 6:24 AM, J P Mashoke said:

Finding any silver coins dated after 1965 in circulation is very rare. Some early Kennedys and Ike's are 40% silver Most would have to be from special sets or strikes that were broken out. I would recommend buying a Redbook for a reference guide to anyone who likes coins. 

Fyi. The mint continued to strike 90% dimes and quarters dated 1964 for circulation until early 1966 to help alleviate the transition to clad. 

Occasionally, a silver planchet would get stuck in a tote or equipment, only to become dislodged later and mixed with the clad planchets and struck with the clad dates.  It is also possible to have clad coins dated 1964.  

This is the same Type of transitional error that resulted in the 1943 copper and 1944 steel cents.

Edited by Oldhoopster