• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First post... 1787 Fugio and a little bit of history and a quick question!

20 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 2:44 PM, J P Mashoke said:

Welcome to the forum. It may have been in the ground a metal detector find.

Thank you! That would definitely make sense. Now, should I worry about those cracks and further degradation? I figure that being in a relatively stable environment within the holder, it should be okay but I want to make sure I do what I can to preserve the coin if need be.

On 6/13/2022 at 4:50 PM, HistoryBuffalo said:

Thank you! That would definitely make sense. Now, should I worry about those cracks and further degradation? I figure that being in a relatively stable environment within the holder, it should be okay but I want to make sure I do what I can to preserve the coin if need be.

It is in a holder I can see no better place for it. Here is a link to your coin so you can have more info on it.

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6453964-006/NGCDetails/

On 6/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, Lem E said:

I would say just keep it out of damp or humid environments and it will be ok. Welcome to the forum.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, both sides of the coin exhibit some pitting, this could have been the result of being buried in the ground and would certainly be the reason for the details grade.   As to the planchet, this was coined in the early days when the process of coining was just beginning so the quality of planchets and striking was much less perfect than today.    There is nothing that you need to do, the coin is protected by the slab and will be fine just as it is, your task is to provide proper storage while you are the steward of this piece of history.

Thank you! Part of the reason for pursuing a graded example was for the protection offered by the holder. I think the coin will most likely be kept on a stand on my desk for display where I can see it and enjoy it! Even though it has those cracks, it adds an extra layer of history and gives insight into that early process of coining, which is pretty awesome!

Edited by HistoryBuffalo

Welcome to the forum.

Nice first post & nice coin. Smart move purchasing an authenticated example. These are heavily counterfeited.

The cracks look to be planchet flaws, which are not unheard of on these coins. They add character, in my opinion.

On 6/13/2022 at 5:46 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum.

Nice first post & nice coin. Smart move purchasing an authenticated example. These are heavily counterfeited.

The cracks look to be planchet flaws, which are not unheard of on these coins. They add character, in my opinion.

Thank you. I’m glad that those are planchet flaws, as I was a little worried at first. I agree, it definitely adds a bit of character.

Edited by HistoryBuffalo

The coin arrived a few days ago and I couldn’t be more thrilled! This is one heck of a piece of history! Thanks for all the kind greetings and the help concerning the coin’s condition and the answers about the planchet cracks. It’s all very much appreciated!

I’ve attached some photos of the fugio in a tad bit better light.

E9983887-9452-4C3C-969A-5EFA257170E9.jpeg

4C5B5BF4-A56D-48B1-ADA5-4AF4CBB8F4F7.jpeg

Edited by HistoryBuffalo

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Copper coins of this time period and especially this issue are not exactly common so it is a nice addition! I note the cracking on the reverse of the coin does not extend through to the surface on the obverse, so it is likely that it is from the surface corrosion from whatever environment it was subject to. The copper planchets in this time period subjected to the environment that made the surface start to break down usually become more and more porous leading to the surface splits. I am not leaning towards a defective planchet in this case as those usually are a crack all the way through both sides of the coin extending in to the center from the rim as the planchet actually starts to split from the pressure of the strike. I would not worry about the coin's condition in its present holder (as long as you are not using the holder as an air hockey puck). I don't see the planchet splitting all the way through and the coin "cracking into pieces" so to speak.

There are conservation services for coins (NCS Conservation), but they will not conserve certain coins for various reasons, and I believe yours would fall into that category. Being the level of environmental damage already present, I would think any attempt to try to restabilize the surface of your coin could risk even further damage.

Good luck with your registry set!!

Hello and welcome here, I'm also a newbie! Btw I'm also a history fan and a history student so it was so interesting to read your story and to see your great coin! Here https://assignmentbro.com/ca/history-homework-help also a lot of interesting info on historical themes. Good luck to you!

Edited by OhyourSully

On 6/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Here's my Fugio.  Part of my "Redbook colonial type set" (significant colonial types listed in the redbook).  

Would be nice to see you back posting again Hoop!

Edited by EagleRJO

On 6/12/2023 at 2:18 AM, RichardBrumback said:

.. I found the answer for you in a free essay, get information on a writing service, this essay tells in more detail ...

You spammers are getting more creative, burying your stupidity in a long post about coins. Never fear though, I've reported your post to the moderators. With any luck it will be gone by tomorrow.