• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

worth having graded? GENERAL MOTORS EXPERIMENTAL PRESS (circa 1967?)

11 posts in this topic

Is this worth having sent in for grading? Havn't found much else about it or if they are popular. Live close to where it was originally pressed in Warren MI. Saw one sold for over $1000 but I am not qualified to compare the 2

coin.jpg

image_2022-06-07_112523633.png

Edited by beaups1212

Welcome to the forum. 

If it were mine, I think I would have it authenticated for my peace of mind. I am not sure if the Chinese have started faking these yet, but I would rather be safe than sorry. As far as grade goes, it probably wouldn't matter much on a piece this scarce. (On the Pollock scale, a Rarity 5 is 31-75 pieces known to exist.) Trying to put a value on it, however, may be tricky. It depends on who is in the market for a piece like that at the time it is sold. It could sell for several hundred, or several thousand.

There is no reliable reference for these private test pieces and no properly documented guide to GM's experiments with the coin roller. Prices are usually fairly low due to lack of information and limited interest.

On 6/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. 

If it were mine, I think I would have it authenticated for my peace of mind. I am not sure if the Chinese have started faking these yet, but I would rather be safe than sorry. As far as grade goes, it probably wouldn't matter much on a piece this scarce. (On the Pollock scale, a Rarity 5 is 31-75 pieces known to exist.) Trying to put a value on it, however, may be tricky. It depends on who is in the market for a piece like that at the time it is sold. It could sell for several hundred, or several thousand.

thank you for the insight. That all makes sense to me. Definitely has some cool local history behind it. It does seem to be in fairly good condition since it was stored in a velvet case. I dont know how long we have had it, at least over 20 years I believe so it may be genuine 

I have “a system” that defines when I consider whether to have a coin or medal encapsulated. This piece fits one of my criteria. A rare or unusual piece that has no other logical place to store it. I’d ask NGC first and then send it in. 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC has certified many of these test coins. They come across my desk for attribution, because they require compositional analysis.

You'll find them listed here: https://www.ngccoin.com/census/united-states/patterns-and-trial-coins/127/

On 6/7/2022 at 9:37 AM, beaups1212 said:

I don't think that this auction price is at all a typical price for the TYPE. I suspect that there are people out there collecting by die variety, and I have never, ever seen a piece with the "S" (whatever it stands for).

As to whether or not to slab it, I never bothered to slab the one I got back in the 1970's. Your mileage may vary.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, CaptHenway said:

I don't think that this auction price is at all a typical price for the TYPE. I suspect that there are people out there collecting by die variety, and I have never, ever seen a piece with the "S" (whatever it stands for).

As to whether or not to slab it, I never bothered to slab the one I got back in the 1970's. Your mileage may vary.

I get really nice Hard Times and Civil War tokens slabbed, but not mundane ones. That’s my core advice - slabbing is for exceptional coins, generally  speaking, not mundane ones. 

Edit: Every time I type the above, I get reminded that about half of slabbed coins are American Silver Eagles, and I get deeply depressed about third party grading. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 6/7/2022 at 5:32 PM, VKurtB said:

Edit: Every time I type the above, I get reminded that about half of slabbed coins are American Silver Eagles, and I get deeply depressed about third party grading. 

Not nearly as depressed at those who try to sell their graded bullion - very challenging. 

This item is much more interesting, and I think its a coin toss decision on whether to get it graded.  I am on the fence if it were mine.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

A few months ago on another forum somebody wrote in about the experimental GM pieces.  I can't find a link, but if I recall correctly, they were involved with maintenance and/or dismantling the press and found a few pieces that were lodged in the equipment.  Short story is that he was advised to have them authenticated, which he did, and was apparently doing well selling the graded pieces (through Heritage I think)

Past results are no guarantee of future performance, but you may want to search the heritage archives to see what sold recently