• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This 1958 D penny lamination or damage?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This penny's reverse has something on its reverse that I thought could maybe be severe lamination but is probably just some bizarre damage. I don't know much about this kind of thing so if someone else does could they give their opinion?

S20220601_0005.jpg

S20220601_0006.jpg

S20220601_0007.jpg

S20220601_0008.jpg

S20220601_0009.jpg

A full picture of the reverse would help but from what I can tell it is just damage., a lamination would not cause the gouges you can see.

Edited by Greenstang

It looks like someone used it in a old fuse panel to replace the problem of regular fuses blowing on the circuit and it got real hot.  Also could be welding rod damage from a arch welder.

Edited by J P Mashoke

On 6/1/2022 at 7:18 PM, J P Mashoke said:

It looks like someone used it in a old fuse panel to replace the problem of regular fuses blowing on the circuit and it got real hot. 

JP you just called yourself out!!!  there isnt anyone under the age of 50 that knows what your taking about!!!  hahahahhahah can ya just screw it in a little tighter!! 

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Don't try to fix a blown fuse with a zinc cent!

That reminds me of the old rule that your tires were too worn if the tread didn't reach to the top of Lincoln's head on a penny. That rule went out the window with replacement of the cent's obverse hub in 1969.