• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For a brief moment, I thought I'd finally stumbled upon an example of the HOLY GRAIL of rainbow toned coins!
1 1

5 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 5:53 PM, MarkFeld said:

I bet you didn’t think that - not even for a “brief moment”.

Mark, do you think the time span was even longer lol ?

Kidding - no, I really did think I'd found something extremely special.  I have been looking for a rainbow-toned steel cent literally for decades.  To that point, I FINALLY started sifting through a bag (around a thousand or so) of steel cents I'd bought a long time ago and realized that about 150 of them were reprocessed examples - like this one.  That's why it was able to acquire toning.

In all these years, I have never found even a single bona-fide rainbow toned steel cent.

Edited by James at EarlyUS.com

On 6/1/2022 at 2:13 PM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

You can probably guess why it turned out NOT to be so, but it sure was close . . . .

IMG_7431.JPGIMG_7432.JPG

Hey James, how about a rainbow toned 43S Steel toned with a rainbown... certified PL by NGC? (NGC MS-66-PL)

Yeah, I've got one. It's a bit hard to see the colors in this pic, but they are clear in hand. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e51f6718efc60e6248689fb8646c9900.jpeg