• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1859 Original Gem Proof Set

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys - I've been meaning to share this the past few weeks. This is a recent purchase of mine which I am sharing, not to show off, but to share with fellow collectors what is in my opinion a true numismatic treasure. Its an original matched proof set from 1859. All the coins are accurately graded 65/66 and reside in older holders. Besides the gem grades, the coins are all wonderfully fresh and original. The colors on the dime, half, and dollar are more vibrant than what is usually encountered on no motto proof era pieces and the Indian Head Cent is a dream. I've seen a good deal of "original" matched proof sets that in my opinion may be suspect of being together since inception. In the case of this 1859 proof set, you can see the obvious toning similarity between the 50C and $1, 10C and 25C, and 3C and 5C. So that gives me some comfort that the coins have resided together for a long, long time. The pictures are courtesy of Mike Printz and are fairly accurate as one would expect from him. Apologies if I messed up the link. (If I did, can someone please help me) The set is listed on the NGC Registry 1858-91 poof sets. Thanks and I hope there are some original proof lovers out there other than me !

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/set_detail.asp?PeopleSetID=13872

I do agree that original is better. This appears to be original for the very reasons that you stated. As rare as these sets were, I will bet that they are almost next to impossible to locate now without them having been broken apart many years ago.

I have dealt with Mike in the past on small time stuff, but would highly recommend them to anyone. Top notch company and folks to deal with.

Even if you are showing off a little, who could blame you for that.

It is a great set to be proud of. Congratulations!

-------------

etexmike

Truly amazing set........some of the toning is just out of this world and as you stated numerous times....there is no doubt that they are a matched set 893applaud-thumb.gif

There aren't many posts that make me think I might be better off with a change in my collecting directions, but this is one of them. Outstanding set and decision to buy it! thumbsup2.gif

What a stunning set! if a person collected only one set of coins in their life, that one would be one to be truly pleased with and proud of. Superb job.

Hoot

Absolutely outstanding set!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I like all of your coins in the set, but the dollar…

… I just start drooling looking at it. cloud9.gif:

Absolutely gorgeous coins! And thanks for including pics. I wish more people would have pics of their registered coins.