• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Military Coins Or Military Tokens
2 2

17 posts in this topic

I worked as Control Room Operator for 13 years getting rid of this stuff at the Anniston Army Depot and was awarded some neat stuff from time to time working for Westinghouse and URS corporations. Would NGC encapsulate such items?

Screenshot_20220525-175743_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175732_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175719_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175707_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175650_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175636_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175622_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175610_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-175551_Gallery.jpg

I would imagine our colleague, Just Bob, would know for sure. I wonder how they could be authenticated. 🤔  Composition? Mintage? Grade? There's got to be an app somewhere for that.

On 5/25/2022 at 6:28 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I would imagine our colleague, Just Bob, would know for sure. I wonder how they could be authenticated. 🤔  Composition? Mintage? Grade? There's got to be an app somewhere for that.

Yeah just wondering that and where they were minted at?

Edited by Errorists

All those nasty meanies would have passed right by here on their way from Redstone Arsenal to Anniston. 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:39 PM, VKurtB said:

All those nasty meanies would have passed right by here on their way from Redstone Arsenal to Anniston. 

[To me, Anniston is inextricably linked to a burning 🔥 Greyhound bus in the mid-1960's, and nothing else.]

On 5/25/2022 at 9:47 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[To me, Anniston is inextricably linked to a burning 🔥 Greyhound bus in the mid-1960's, and nothing else.]

It’s a gorgeous little touristy town now. And the nearest Amtrak station to me. The bus burning happened to the west of town, and the new N/S bypass highway takes traffic east of town. With I-20 being the main E/W drag, few people ever encounter the Freedom Riders marker unless they’re looking for it. Some can’t find it even if they are looking for it. 

Edited by VKurtB

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

To clarify, those are medals rather than coins. Oftentimes, such enameled pieces issued by military units or associated defense contractors are considered "challenge coins." These are medals that one is expected to have on his/her person and present when challenged to do so, otherwise the offender is stuck buying the drinks. It's a popular tradition in the service, though I imagine such challenges are made far less often with contractors.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, DWLange said:

To clarify, those are medals rather than coins. Oftentimes, such enameled pieces issued by military units or associated defense contractors are considered "challenge coins." These are medals that one is expected to have on his/her person and present when challenged to do so, otherwise the offender is stuck buying the drinks. It's a popular tradition in the service, though I imagine such challenges are made far less often with contractors.

Cool I won some medals..

On 5/26/2022 at 1:49 PM, DWLange said:

Also does NGC encapsulate such medals? TYVM.

On 5/26/2022 at 2:49 PM, DWLange said:

I have a friend (ex-Marine) who collects them from all branches of the military.  I didn't even know he was a collector until one day a few months ago, I offered him a bagful (about a hundred) that I'd picked up in an auction.  They were ALL brand new to his collection, which surprised me, but then he detailed how just about any military personnel can get these made if they are willing to pay to have dies made and set up.   At any rate, they are fairly interesting although not my bag of tea.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

I have a friend (ex-Marine) who collects them from all branches of the military.  I didn't even know he was a collector until one day a few months ago, I offered him a bagful (about a hundred) that I'd picked up in an auction.  They were ALL brand new to his collection, which surprised me, but then he detailed how just about any military personnel can get these made if they are willing to pay to have dies made and set up.   At any rate, they are fairly interesting although not my bag of tea.

NGC encapsulate them?