• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Need some Educating please

23 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 4:08 PM, Matthew Matthews said:

I’m talking about what looks like a letters or numbers on the rim or border. 

Physical damage. Hits. Impacts. Nothing more. 

This is why you get uneducated people not knowing anything. You get comments like “They keep coming”. Other people see that and will never post or ask a question out of fear of being ridiculed. Doesn’t bother me at all. You can’t blame them, they don’t know any better nor taught any better. Must have been nice being born a know it all. Bet you drive a Kia. To those that answered my post with a genuine response, thank you. I can guarantee you that I bet you don’t talk to people like that face to face…… maybe you did once and that’s why you’re a Keyboard Smart Mouth. 

I definitely don’t. I didn’t make the Penny. 

this is Newbie Coin Collecting Question forum correct?? Well what kind of questions are the Kia’s expecting?? This is why I never post anything. Some times I have to learn a lesson all over again. If you’re not going to help educate and you’re just going to be rude don’t respond or remove the category all together. 

Edited by PocketChangePillager
Grammar

The current issue of Numismatic News has a story on this phenomenon of phantom errors and varieties and how magazines dealt with queries such as this in the early 1960’s. Suffice it to say that this kind of stuff has been a problem for over 60 years. 

On 5/25/2022 at 7:10 PM, PocketChangePillager said:

This is Newbie Coin Collecting Question forum correct?? Well what kind of questions are the Kia’s expecting?? This is why I never post anything. Some times I have to learn a lesson all over again. If you’re not going to help educate and you’re just going to be rude don’t respond or remove the category all together. 

What do you collect ?  How long have you been collecting ?  Interest in other coins (i.e, Saints or Morgans) that maybe you don't yet own ?

Welcome to the forum . It is all good. Sometimes we get a lot of parking lot and dryer coins looking to be sent off for grading. It can be frustrating trying to explain why a coin is what it is. You will get the truthful answer you are looking for on this forum. All the members here are more than happy to be very honest about a coin that is posted as long as it is the whole coin and both sides. It makes the grading much easier. If you hang around you will see the good the bad and the ugly.lol

On 5/26/2022 at 4:34 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

WTF is wrong with driving a Kia?  I love my K5.  

“Have you driven a Ford lately?” 

I agree that this one is damage.  If you are a new collector, starting with error coins can be challenging, as you need deep knowledge in the minting process to better understand how errors happen.  It is all too easy to allow pareidolia to take control of the mind, so the best advice I can give you is to stick to documented examples of double dies and errors until your skill level has you looking for the right attributes of the error.

Obviously, you can (and should) collect whatever you wish.  However, it is easier to start with a particular series (i.e. Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, etc.) and learn the series front-to-back.  Know the key dates, know the varieties, and develop your eye to know quality surfaces.

This hobby has two main value levers - rarity and condition.  On most coins, condition drives the bus.  Even the most rare coins are also driven by condition, but they may also hold value in highly circulated grades.

If you are searching for errors on damaged coins (and with limited knowledge), you are in for a long, frustrating, uphill climb. 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 5/31/2022 at 12:28 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I agree that this one is damage.  If you are a new collector, starting with error coins can be challenging, as you need deep knowledge in the minting process to better understand how errors happen.  It is all too easy to allow pareidolia to take control of the mind, so the best advice I can give you is to stick to documented examples of double dies and errors until your skill level has you looking for the right attributes of the error.

Obviously, you can (and should) collect whatever you wish.  However, it is easier to start with a particular series (i.e. Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, etc.) and learn the series front-to-back.  Know the key dates, know the varieties, and develop your eye to know quality surfaces.

This hobby has two main value levers - rarity and condition.  On most coins, condition drives the bus.  Even the most rare coins are also driven by condition, but they may also hold value in highly circulated grades.

If you are searching for errors on damaged coins (and with limited knowledge), you are in for a long, frustrating, uphill climb. 

Not to mention annoying as heck to people who know this field.