• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do about substance on a coin.

17 posts in this topic

PVC plasticizer residue, also known as Green slime.

Soak it in acetone (not nail polish remover).  Check the archives for threads if you don't know how to use acetone.

The problem is that one of the decomposition products of the plasticizer is hydrochloric acid, so the coin may already be damaged.  In any case, if you don't remove the residue, the acid will continue to eat away at the coin.  And toss the album

Edited by Oldhoopster

If you have any other coin in this same type of plastic holder, remove them immediately. Soak gently in pure acetone (no smoking!) and put into mylar holders.

Thanks guys. I'm going to practice on another coin before I try one of the Kennedys. Will acetone do any damage to proof coins?  I ask because the proof coins seemed to have the most "slime" on them. 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:23 AM, Rick621 said:

Thanks guys. I'm going to practice on another coin before I try one of the Kennedys. Will acetone do any damage to proof coins?  I ask because the proof coins seemed to have the most "slime" on them. 

Hoop has it right. Acetone won’t damage the coin, even proofs, but it may REVEAL damage that is already there. 

Just so you know, ANY use of vinyl around coins is a no-no. Not pages, not album covers, NOTHING. Yes I am fully aware that excludes entire BRANDS of albums, and seemingly entire countries and eras. It also happens to be true. Even the original government packaging for British 1953 uncirculated sets is vinyl, and has destroyed numerous sets. 

Edited by VKurtB

RE: "What to do about substance on a coin."

Substance abuse is quite common among coins and some coin collectors. Many coins have suffered with this addiction and now have the resulting scars and blemishes. Most can be improved a little by appropriate rehab, but good rehabilitation therapists are rarer than some valuable coins. But, like any substance dependency, much of the damage is difficult to see yet is permanent and will always remain.

;)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Those vinyl plastic albums were made by HARCO (Harold Cohn Company) and by ENOR (haven't figured out that name yet). When it became widespread knowledge that the plasticizing element in PVC albums could contaminate coins, HARCO retooled to eliminate that material around 1990, but it was too late to save the product, which went out of production a few years later.

I'm astonished that albums made for Europe, Asia and even Canada in some instances still use PVC plastics. Those made for the American market these days typically avoid harmful materials. It's one area where the USA is satisfyingly ahead of the game.

Experiment first.  That reside will come off easily; however, lots of coins have been damaged when they are being dried after conservation.  An acetone dip will air dry BUT it may take some dips in fresh acetone to completely remove the film.  I expect NCS could do a great job on your coins but they are not worth the price of using that service.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:47 PM, Insider said:

Any seasoned veterans almost ready to retire?  How many days?

That would be a waste of thyme. And oregano too. 

On 5/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, Insider said:

Any seasoned veterans almost ready to retire?  How many days?

Depends on the seasoning....

On 5/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, Insider said:

Experiment first.  That reside will come off easily; however, lots of coins have been damaged when they are being dried after conservation.  An acetone dip will air dry BUT it may take some dips in fresh acetone to completely remove the film.  I expect NCS could do a great job on your coins but they are not worth the price of using that service.

The ones I bought specifically said PVC free.

7FE59FA6-9907-43D0-AE41-2D822A58CCCA.jpeg

F82F8FFE-9B2F-4DF5-92FB-A2A7BAB23880.jpeg

78C6CE7F-F0DE-493A-9E95-F20340C3C065.jpeg

On 5/25/2022 at 3:38 PM, DWLange said:

Those vinyl plastic albums were made by HARCO (Harold Cohn Company) and by ENOR (haven't figured out that name yet). When it became widespread knowledge that the plasticizing element in PVC albums could contaminate coins, HARCO retooled to eliminate that material around 1990, but it was too late to save the product, which went out of production a few years later.

I'm astonished that albums made for Europe, Asia and even Canada in some instances still use PVC plastics. Those made for the American market these days typically avoid harmful materials. It's one area where the USA is satisfyingly ahead of the game.

I’ve had to try to scrounge up Dansco millimeter sized pages for foreign coins because the home country albums are so abysmal. 

Thanks for the suggestions in solving my "slime" problem. The acetone worked but as was mentioned, "the coin may already be damaged" .....yes there is, not real noticeable but it's there and it's only on a couple of coins. Thanks again for all your help.