• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Public Question to Quintus Arrius
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 4:43 PM, VKurtB said:

You’ve been MIA for awhile @Quintus Arrius, but I was interested to see if you got to the NYINC show in January and what was your experience there like? I hope you enjoyed it. 

For that matter...did ANYBODY here attend ? 

Curious what attendance was like for dealers/the public compared to pre-Covid.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:47 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

For that matter...did ANYBODY here attend ? 

Curious what attendance was like for dealers/the public compared to pre-Covid.

That show makes me REALLY MISS my old Harrisburg, PA apartment. Walk one block to the Amtrak station, sit down, and about 3 hrs. later, get off at Madison Square Garden station. One quick cab ride (January) and you’re there. 

On 5/25/2022 at 8:36 AM, DWLange said:

QA was suspended or banned from these boards. I don't which it was nor the reason.

He has been back recently. 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:16 AM, RWB said:

But...they do have run-on sentences, and occasional sentence fragments.....  ;)

Imagine if you went to prison.....and were given a life sentence...and the only food they gave you was Life cereal...and the only board game you could play was The Game of Life.

Truly a LIFE sentence ! xD

On 5/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, l.cutler said:

Lifetime channel on the other hand

Could merit a "cruel and unusual punishment" reprieve....kind of like having to watch the "Coin Channel" 24/7.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:40 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I am sorry to disappoint you but despite the best of intentions and my steely resolve, I was unable to attend. So the short answer is, No. The reason is much more complicated. My particular circumstance would not permit it. Any further elaboration would upset members who frown upon lengthy discourses on non-numismatic, off-topic matters. It is my understanding, if it is any consolation, that the lion's share of the overall theme of the convention emphasized ancient coins. I might very well have been a fish out of water.]   🐓 

P.S.  If there was any mention of the convention in the local papers, however oblique, I am unaware of it.

P.P.S.  Gentlemen, the formal reason given for my dismissal was "contentiousness." A review was conducted and a spokesman speaking on behalf of a consortium of [acronyms] granted me a reprieve which can be countermanded, per Guideline rules, for any reason or no reason at all.  I believe a handful of members enjoy unconditional immunity. I do not. 🐓 

I’m not going to mislead you, ancients and medieval are huge at NYINC. But so are all dates of world coins, too. You just won’t see U.S. material other than rarely the very oldest issues. I’ve found lots of shillings for my set there. Don’t take it off your list. You will find a nice day’s worth of stuff you’ll like. And BTW, I like you “contentious”, but then what do I know?

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/25/2022 at 6:52 PM, VKurtB said:

I’m not going to mislead you, ancients and medieval are huge at NYINC. But so are all dates of world coins, too. You just won’t see U.S. material other than rarely the very oldest issues. Don’t take it off your list. You will find a nice day’s worth of stuff you’ll like. And BTW, I like you “contentious”, but then what do I know?

[No more "contentiousness". If I engage in It, Alex -- and the "nefarious cabal" kkbll once alluded to  -- win. Can't, won't let that happen.]   😉 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:40 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

P.P.S.  Gentlemen, the formal reason given for my dismissal was "contentiousness." A review was conducted and a spokesman speaking on behalf of a consortium of [acronyms] granted me a reprieve which can be countermanded, per Guideline rules, for any reason or no reason at all.  I believe a handful of members enjoy unconditional immunity. I do not. 🐓 

I would just say to the Moderators...that as someone who has read most/all of Quntus' posts in this section (particularly on Saints, Roosters, and the Coin Hobby).....I believe his "contentiousness" is merely his ideosynchartic way of speaking, much as some people speak in rhymes or riddles (like The Riddler xD ) or Iamic Pentameter or whatever it was that I was taught 45 years ago (and thankfully forgot).

Anyway, kudos to the Mods for enlarging our enlightened circle.  Now let's find those lost 150,000 Double Eagles and split the loot !  The Riddler would be proud (but maybe not Joker, Catwoman, and Penguin :bigsmile:!)

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/25/2022 at 7:41 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I was really happy to hear that QA had been suspended. 

I was really sad to see him post in this thread. 

What an absolute troll. 

QA questions the authenticy of a comment from anyone who is alleged to have had him on "Ignore."  Besides, Quintus now is New and Improved. 😉 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I was really happy to hear that QA had been suspended. 

I was really sad to see him post in this thread. 

What an absolute troll. 

That’s just meanness for its own sake. I’d say I expected more of you, but no, really I didn’t. 

On 5/25/2022 at 9:39 PM, VKurtB said:

That’s just meanness for its own sake. I’d say I expected more of you, but no, really I didn’t. 

The beauty of this is the gentleman of whom you once wrote: "I've already and REPEATEDLY been targeted by ----- ," saw your topic posting, honors me by disengaging "ignore," deposits his comment on your thread, withdraws, and presumably re-engages "ignore."  I give him an E for Effort. 😉 

On 5/26/2022 at 2:29 AM, Cat Bath said:

Egad!...I'm not sure what to think about that :roflmao:

In a word, bor-ing.  😉 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:40 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Glad to see you back.  

On 5/26/2022 at 10:40 AM, Morpheus1967 said:

Glad to see you back.  

Thank you! I appreciate the warm welcome. [When I informed my sister what had transpired her reaction was not unlike that of  Jimmy Conway's (Robert DeNiro) after Henry Hill (the late Ray Liotta) shot Spyder: "What's this world coming to?" 

That's why I love NGC. I will see how things go, and if the coast is clear, I will renew my membership at the prevailing standard non-discounted rate on June 1st.]  😉 

On 5/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Thank you! I appreciate the warm welcome. [When I informed my sister what had transpired her reaction was not unlike that of  Jimmy Conway's (Robert DeNiro) after Henry Hill (the late Ray Liotta) shot Spyder: "What's this world coming to?" 

That's why I love NGC. I will see how things go, and if the coast is clear, I will renew my membership at the prevailing standard non-discounted rate on June 1st.]  😉 

Ah, but it was Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) who shot Spider.  Both times.  ;)

On 5/27/2022 at 3:40 PM, Morpheus1967 said:

Ah, but it was Tommy DeVito (Joe Pesci) who shot Spider.  Both times.  ;)

Absolutely right, as I was writing this, news of Ray Liotta's death was announced and he loomed large in my mind. @Hoghead515 caught me on the title of a movie 🎬 LIFE, and now you've caught me on movie content,  Thanks!  (thumbsu. [BTW, it was very courageous of you to publicly endorse my comeback! I try not to "follow" anyone for fear lines will be drawn and enmity result.]

On 5/27/2022 at 4:12 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Absolutely right, as I was writing this, news of Ray Liotta's death was announced and he loomed large in my mind. @Hoghead515 caught me on the title of a movie 🎬 LIFE, and now you've caught me on movie content,  Thanks!  (thumbsu. [BTW, it was very courageous of you to publicly endorse my comeback! I try not to "follow" anyone for fear lines will be drawn and enmity result.]

Unfortunately, coin hobby message boards tend to have a large population with all the sense of humor and charm of the average Great White Shark. 

A few more...

Jimmy Burke, played by Jimmy Conway (Robert DeNiro) died awhile back. He never served a day in jail for the Lufthansa heist.

Henry Hill, played by Ray Liotta died recently.

The latest, Paul Vario, played by Paul "Paulie" Sorvino died today.

@MarkFeld:  What's any of this got to do with Numismatics?

Q.A.:  Nothing at all.  The money stolen from the Braniff and Lufthansa heists was never recovered.  😉 

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Spelling correction