• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports Is a-Goin’ on Here?

44 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 4:49 PM, SlickCoins said:

I agree with you all bad people need to be replaced with good ones or at least ones we hope are good.

Based on this alone you all kinda owe me a better investigation on said crappiest counterfeit coin know to man.

My humble opinion, I understand also,,, that's that and it's final, end of story.

Thanks

PS I'm a card carrying fool also :) my EAC card 😂

So then you were in St. Louis, right?

On 5/24/2022 at 5:51 PM, SlickCoins said:

Almost I was set to go, just my silly 🧠 got in the way and like Tommy boy I wrecked it.

Portland next May, or come to Rosemont in August. The EAC  will have their club table where you can sit and rap with the guys. Interactively, not watching a video. And I’ll be at the EAC meeting myself.

You know, like “IRL”. (Do you know how long it took me to figure out that didn’t stand for “Indy Racing League”?)

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/24/2022 at 7:14 PM, VKurtB said:

where you can sit and rap with the guys. Interactively, not watching a video

Never happen!  'SickCoins' is predominantly a You Tube numismatician.   :roflmao:

Oh lookie; I made a new word!   

On 5/25/2022 at 6:11 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Exactly my thoughts. Take em up on .40 street. Let Sig take care of them. 

“I know a guy who knows a guy.”

On 5/24/2022 at 6:38 PM, SlickCoins said:

Yeah that would be awesome 😎, I'm thinking I'd rather do an EAC meetup than a coin grading/auction show.

Awesome info :)

Thanks

It’s all together in one show at Rosemont. Clubs, bourse, talks, awards (@RWB probably up for another Literary, plus I’m getting a Glenn Smedley Award). You don’t need to choose. It’s all there. 

On 5/25/2022 at 8:20 AM, SlickCoins said:

Nice gratz u2 on your awards :)

I'll do some research on the event & hopefully it works.

Awesome thanks again

ANA World’s Fair of Money

August 15-20

Rosemont, IL (just outside O’Hare Airport)

Slick; I feel that you do have some redeeming qualities. You just need to simply start over, begin fresh, offer legitimate questions with clear cropped pictures of coins and the pros here (certainly not me), will provide you with knowledgeable, informative answers. When you inject your opinions, and quote others whom you do not know, you step in you own xxit. I’m not saying beg for forgiveness, but try to change your tone a little. Welcome to the forum.

45DE8174-7CF7-49A9-8C1C-9F2963641849.jpeg

@JKK You make excellent points in your response, and you are spot-on.  I am new to collecting coins, but I have learned a bit during my time (still cannot hold a candle to others).  When I started, this place could be an outright scary place to ask a question, and ironically it's one of the best places for information.  I think newbies don't know any better, and get their faces ripped off by seasoned collectors (who already answered a similar question 1000X (so I get it)) .  Sometimes it can be pretty rough to watch.  It's sad to think that we are turning those that legitimately like coins into trolls, but I can see it happening.

Personally, I never want to make a collector feel bad about their coin(s).  I want to be a collector that encourages others.  There is certainly a need to educate to ensure new collectors do not think they have something that they do not, and steer them toward better collecting resources.  I applaud those that help collectors like me get our "sea legs" and understand that we do not know what they take for granted.

Now - there are, in fact, legitimate trolls on the boards that just ruin it for everyone.  I suggest they do something else with the time, as this is thier most precious resource.  Until then, the "ignore" button will serve to guide a better digital experience for me.  Stay classy.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 6/2/2022 at 2:56 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@JKK 

Now - there are, in fact, legitimate trolls on the boards that just ruin it for everyone.  I suggest they do something else with the time, as this is thier most precious resource.  Until then, the "ignore" button will serve to guide a better digital experience for me.  Stay classy.

That's what I use. The ignore button is my friend and I use it brutally. But I am also over just sitting by and watching regulars give snotty answers to people who have done nothing to deserve them except be new to collecting and ignorant of the commonness of their questions. Now, once some newcomer starts being a complete male_genitalium after being shown nothing but considerate candor, I am fine with people giving them what they earned. Of course, if we could get people to just ignore such posters rather than turn them into trolls, that would be even better, but it'll never happen. They just can't resist keeping it going. I have no power over that.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:56 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

It's sad to think that we are turning those that legitimately like coins into trolls,

I must disagree with you.  Many of these so called 'Newbies' are actually You Tube creations and some are here to deliberately disrupt this forum and others.  You will find them on CT and ATS.  At present 'SickCoins' is ATS with new found varieties and errors that no one over there has heard of.  Mainly it is folks who are craving the attention they are given and the power that comes from getting people upset.  M.F. said it best:  "You're being played.

Addendum to my former post.  If anyone feels we are 'turning' someone into a troll why not just direct them to the Ignore feature of this website?  It's working very well for me.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1076355/of-late-several-newbies-demonstrate-a-stubborn-streak#latest

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, Alex in PA. said:

I must disagree with you.

I am not saying this is 100%, and there is room for disagreement.  I don't know how trolls are born.  But, I certainly see legitimate new coin collectors get unnecessarily clobbered regularly, and they are not trolls.  Some of it is downright cringeworthy.

YouTubers need to be educated.  When I wanted to learn about coins, I went right to YouTube.  When I wanted to fix a garbage disposal, I went right to YouTube.  It's just a first step for most.  Since that time, I have learned to differentiate "good" from "bad" information.  Now, if the YouTuber becomes educated by the group, and they refuse to understand facts - skewer away.  Little is as irritating to read someone argue over and over that they have something that they clearly do not (queue "Ignore" button).

The member that you mentioned is 100% troll.  He is neither a newbie, nor a collector that can (or wants to be) helped.  Fortunately, I never see his posts.  I was sucked in for a while, but the "Ignore" button solves problems, and you no longer see me engaging with those that are clearly trolls.