• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does designation 'Genuine' indicate?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi, 

Genuine is an adjectival grade that is assigned to an item to describe it as real or authentic. For some bulk submissions, NGC will allow the submitter to request that only an adjectival grade like this be printed on the NGC certification label. More information on adjectival grades can be found here

We appreciate your interest in NGC. 

Originally, the major grading services wouldn't encapsulate genuine coins that couldn't be numerically graded due to any impairment (cleaning, scratches, damage, corrosion, etc.).  All such pieces were returned ungraded in flips, which became derisively known as "body bags".  This policy made it impossible to obtain third party authentication or grading for a large percentage of older coins, including pieces that are quite valuable notwithstanding their impairments.  As I recall, ANACS was the first service to offer "Details" adjectival grading, and PCGS began putting impaired pieces in holders marked "Genuine" with no grade. (I own two U.S. coins in old PCGS "Genuine" holders.) I'm not sure how the situation evolved at NGC. Ultimately, both NGC and PCGS offered "Details" adjectival grading for "problem" coins.