• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1916 Standing Liberty Quarter Dollar Authenticity

11 posts in this topic

On 5/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, Just Bob said:

probably of recent Chinese manufacture

I wonder if there is anything they don't copy.  And it's sad the US Government doesn't do more to put a stop to this. (If they could)

Both sides and the edge are gross counterfeits. Report the seller to the FBI.

On 5/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, Bubba2022 said:

Thank you! I will stick to coins from NGC or another reputable source.

Thats why I usually buy cetified coins. Unless its a reputable dealer or Im 100% sure its real. When I first started I was sold some cleaned coins. Now Ive learned alot more of what to look for. Im still not the greatest at spotting fakes and cleaned coins so I mostly buy them already certified. 

Edited by Hoghead515

While I would recommend certification for such a rare coin, this one is so obviously a crude replica that anyone who has taken more than a passing glance at a genuine specimen of a 1916 (or 1917 Variety One) Standing Liberty quarter or a good photograph of one should realize that this isn't the real thing!  If you want to collect coins, you have to learn what they look like. Looking at them is what's fun about them, anyway.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:59 PM, Bubba2022 said:

Thank you! I will stick to coins from NGC or another reputable source.

For rarities especially, that is recommended. A good dealer relationship is also helpful in that reputable dealers will always accept returns of coins shown to be counterfeits, and will not knowingly traffic in them. They get pretty good at spotting phonies. What you don't do is just go buying random stuff from someone on Etsy or Ebay. That's where the minefields are.