• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Broadstruck Bicentennial Quarter?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I won a ebay 30 coin lot of off center bicentennial quarters and half dollars for 45 bucks about 15 years ago. This particular coin still has the grease on it from the mint but it looks double broadstruck. What's your take on it? And should I clean the grease off it??

Screenshot_20220521-114024_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-114253_Chrome.jpg

Is that anything like “double secret probation” from Animal House?

On 5/21/2022 at 6:40 PM, Errorists said:

I know just another lake skipper to you..

It’s a nice broadstrike, but I’m not sure what makes it double. 

On 5/23/2022 at 2:17 PM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

I don't think cleaning it makes sense, but that's a heck of a nice error coin in my opinion!

I thinks it's double struck.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:18 PM, Errorists said:

I thinks it's double struck.

I can see no evidence of that. There is nothing there that can’t be explained by a broadstrike. 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, VKurtB said:

I can see no evidence of that. There is nothing there that can’t be explained by a broadstrike. 

The L  and  T look doubled at the top on the obverse. Have not seen that on stretch strikes unless it was double struck.

Edited by Errorists

On 5/23/2022 at 6:33 PM, Errorists said:

The L  and  T look doubled at the top on the obverse. Have not seen that on stretch strikes unless it was double struck.

All heck can, and usually does, break loose when the collar breaks. Question: Have you ever undertaken any formal education in numismatic matters, or are you just “winging it”?

Edited by VKurtB