• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new 1942 proof cent has the blues . . . maybe because I STILL need three more coins to complete the set

7 posts in this topic

Blue is fairly often seen on 1936-42 proof cents. I am not an expert on those proofs, @RWB is. But there is also a gentleman in Millersville, PA (Lancaster County …. AGAIN!) who has literally written the book on earlier proof Lincoln cents, including but not limited to Matte Proofs. He tells me the packaging of those 36-42 proofs is responsible for the blue. This is TOTALLY different from the blue 1962 proof nickels, which are reportedly caused by excess cobalt in the alloy. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:54 PM, Coinbuf said:

Interesting,. . . what is the number of that album?   That is a very cool and fun set of sets that you have put together.  (thumbsu

Thanks!  I've been working on it for ten years or maybe a little less.  My two guiding principles have been: Do not break up any existing proof set, and Try to use only non-certified examples.  Although I couldn't hit those goals at 100% (a few coins inevitably had to come out of slabs, like the proof Buffalo nickels), at least no complete proof sets ever had to be chopped up.

The album is a Dansco 7091 "United States Year Sets".  For my purposes, it fits all the coins from 1936 - 1969 in a nice, compact format.  The only annoyance is that pesky 1942 proof set that has an extra nickel, taking up a row all by itself.

On 5/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

...My two guiding principles have been: Do not break up any existing proof set, and Try to use only non-certified examples...

It's in the Good Book:  "What [tetragrammaton] has joined together, let no man put asunder." This principle was cited by those opposed to construction of the Panama canal across the isthmus and presumably, by extension, applies to unauthorized decapsulations and breaching the integrity of proof sets.  I don't have to read another word. You, my friend, are my kind of collector!  😉