• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAC Question
1 1

31 posts in this topic

I have several coins that I feel very confident would receive CAC approval.  I am not a member nor are they accepting membership.  Any ideas before contacting them directly?  Thanks in advance.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:21 PM, Coinbuf said:

...If you are friends with a collector who can submit that you can trust; that is the most cost effective way to submit as collectors do not pay for the coins not stickered where dealers pay for each coin sticker or not...

I did not know that with CAC!  Thanks!

Re-read the info @Coinbuf gave you.  

In order to maintain the quality of our service and continue to properly and timely serve our members, effective immediately, we are closing CAC collector/dealer membership applications. We will post a notice once membership is reopened.

On 5/18/2022 at 5:51 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Re-read the info @Coinbuf gave you.  

In order to maintain the quality of our service and continue to properly and timely serve our members, effective immediately, we are closing CAC collector/dealer membership applications. We will post a notice once membership is reopened.

Maybe NGC should consider such a thing. 

Yes no new memberships. And my last submission took over a month. Unlike the TPGs they usually have a 5 day turnaround. They are just swamped. 

As coinbuf offered I can submit for you also, but I am being forced into changing my membership to a dealer. So no free tries at it for me. 

On 5/18/2022 at 4:17 PM, Woods020 said:

Yes no new memberships. And my last submission took over a month. Unlike the TPGs they usually have a 5 day turnaround. They are just swamped. 

As coinbuf offered I can submit for you also, but I am being forced into changing my membership to a dealer. So no free tries at it for me. 

Does that mean that you are going to send your 50/50 coins to me to submit now.  lol

On 5/18/2022 at 6:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

Does that mean that you are going to send your 50/50 coins to me to submit now.  lol

Well now that you mention it……😂

On 5/18/2022 at 6:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

Do you have some from CAC that make you scratch your head? I don’t claim to be a master grader by any means, but I do try and learn from each submission. Whether it be grading or CAC I try and give my own estimate before submitting and then comparing to see how I did. When I’m off I try to see why. With both I have a handful that just bug me. CAC bugs me the most it seems. Most of them I fully agree with, but a few I would pay them to walk through them with me and tell me why some didn’t sticker. Especially if I’m submitting multiples of the same coin/same grade and it’s very easy to compare side by side. 

A big problem in this hobby is peer pressure. I don’t necessarily think half of what is graded needs to be graded, and I don’t think we need CAC in most cases. However if you want to ever sell a coin, or compete in registry sets, you have to play the game. I participate in the registry kind of but not seriously. However I do like selling coins. The coin market is extremely quick to self impose additional constraints on itself. You won’t convince someone today a coin is strong for grade if it doesn’t have a green bean. If it isn’t cac’d it’s immediately seen as a lesser coin. And we do it to ourselves. But when the masses decide that’s what they want we have no choice but to suck it up or lose money. 

Edited by Woods020

On 5/18/2022 at 11:07 PM, Woods020 said:

A big problem in this hobby is peer pressure. I don’t necessarily think half of what is graded needs to be graded, and I don’t think we need CAC in most cases. However if you want to ever sell a coin, or compete in registry sets, you have to play the game. I participate in the registry kind of but not seriously. However I do like selling coins. The coin market is extremely quick to self impose additional constraints on itself. You won’t convince someone today a coin is strong for grade if it doesn’t have a green bean. If it isn’t cac’d it’s immediately seen as a lesser coin. And we do it to ourselves. But when the masses decide that’s what they want we have no choice but to suck it up or lose money. 

JA is notoriously very tough on gold coins/Saints.  Probably because the standards got so lax in the late-1990's/early-2000's from the TPGs.

I think I read somewhere that no 1908 No Motto Saint has ever gotten a CAC sticker.  Or maybe it's the Wells Fargo bunch (though I though I had seen a few over the years).

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/18/2022 at 11:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

JA is notoriously very tough on gold coins/Saints.  Probably because the standards got so lax in the late-1990's/early-2000's from the TPGs.

I think I read somewhere that no 1908 No Motto Saint has ever gotten a CAC sticker.  Or maybe it's the Wells Fargo bunch (though I though I had seen a few over the years).

A lot of gold is over graded to an eye trained primarily on silver and non-precious metal coins. People can try to deny it all they like, but you’ll never convince me the grades on gold aren’t too generous. 

On 5/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Well now. Go away for a week and come back to this.  

Having studied across the street and here, there is one undeniable fact when discussing “the bean”. Let all beware 😉🙀🦫

This is the one truth 🤨

2090963A-718A-4DCC-B6E4-CAD159171870.jpeg

Here’s something that has always (PA local turn of phrase approaching) “wondered me”: Why does it seem that the same dealers who are nearly PCGS exclusive dealers also are highly committed to the “bean factory”? Is it a tacit admission that PCGS graders need to be overseen in their grading? /and with that he ducks from incoming hurled projectiles from the PCGS worshippers

On 5/19/2022 at 1:04 PM, James Zyskowski said:

Well Kurt. That’s a pop top can o worms if not ( us old guys will get this )  time to get out the P-38 and open field style 😉🙀🦫

I have a PCGS membership app in my files, honest I do, maybe more than one. I just can’t think of a reason I’d want to fill it out. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:49 PM, VKurtB said:

There is NO single person’s opinion, even John’s, that I would trust over a 3-person panel of professionals. 5 would be better than 3,

Agree!  People always complaining about their grades that they got and telling everyone "You need to learn how to grade!"  BS!  I'll take the word of the NGC & ATS over my grading any day.  This is a 'hobby' for me; it's not my profession.

On 5/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, tigerbait said:

USMC folks.  Thank you for your service!  You do realize that it is the USN that transports you.  Go Navy!

Uber for Marines. 

Yes Hog. That’s army p-38 but not sure if that’s it’s USMC designation. 
   Used to carry one on my keys, nick and cuts aside,( I used to drink and forget the blade was out)  I found it mighty handy. Grandpa and pop both Navy. My personal respect for the Marines is very high. 😉🙀🦫