• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2012 Silver Roosevelt Dime: Proof vs "Limited Edition" - What's the difference?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I have to buy a modern silver Roosevelt dime for my 7070 registry set.  2012 is a special year for me, but I see two silver proofs being sold.  One is marketed as "Proof" and the other "Limited Edition".  There does not appear to be a difference in the coin (matte vs brilliant, etc.), nor does it have an "SP" designation to the grade (just PR/PF).

Is there a difference, or just marketing?  Sure feels like marketing, but I don't know this series well at all.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:42 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

hey say, "buy the coin not the holder".  B

what dont like the pedigree??  heheheh  just think if they put each time a coin was cracked out of a slab... umm 2012 us mintset, ICG, ANACS, PCGS NGC....

On 5/18/2022 at 6:44 PM, JT2 said:

what dont like the pedigree??  heheheh  just think if they put each time a coin was cracked out of a slab... umm 2012 us mintset, ICG, ANACS, PCGS NGC....

Sounds like coins tied to blockchain technology. 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, VKurtB said:

y; that’s ridiculous to have separate labels for all three. 

VKurtB you forgot the advanced releases.. and the First day of issues and the Pre Releases!!  and i thnk there are even more

On 5/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, JT2 said:

VKurtB you forgot the advanced releases.. and the First day of issues and the Pre Releases!!  and i thnk there are even more

Stop me if you’ve heard this before: “I collect COINS, not …” You stopped me.

Here’s the dealio: I do not own a single CAC coin. I do not own a single Early Release coin. I do not own a single First Day of Issue coin. I do own exactly ONE coin in a black slab, but none of any other color other than white. What I do own is several top pop 1/0 coins. For those who don’t know, that’s the finest known graded with none even TIED for the highest grade. Here’s the fun part, for me. Every one of those 1/0 coins I BOUGHT RAW and submitted it myself. 

Ironic point: every one of my top pop 1/0 coins were purchased in a city where CNG has an office, but none were purchased FROM CNG. (Lancaster, Pennsylvania and the Bloomsbury section of London, England.) And both are served by amazing train stations, too. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Here’s the dealio: What I do own is several top pop 1/0 coins. For those who don’t know, that’s the finest known graded with none even TIED for the highest grade. Here’s the fun part, for me. Every one of those 1/0 coins I BOUGHT RAW and submitted it myself. 

Ironic point: every one of my top pop 1/0 coins were purchased in a city where CNG has an office, but none were purchased FROM CNG. (Lancaster, Pennsylvania and the Bloomsbury section of London, England.) And both are served by amazing train stations, too. 

I would love to see them.  All of my "top pop" coins are modern MS70 stuff that have many tied for the same grade (and I only have a few).  I don't have anything that's 1/0!  

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 5/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, VKurtB said:

So there are three ways to buy silver Women’s quarters: their own silver proof set, the “regular” silver proof set, and the limited edition proof set. I don’t care WHAT the TPG grading firms say; that’s ridiculous to have separate labels for all three. 

Im with you Kurt. No longer than Ive been collecting Ive seen alot of things thats very ridiculous. Has it always been like that or did it come on all at once? Wish I coulda started in the good ole days. Seems every hobby Ive ever had greed has tried to ruin it. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 5/19/2022 at 4:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im with you Kurt. No longer than Ive been collecting Ive seen alot of things thats very ridiculous. Has it always been like that or did it come on all at once? Wish I coulda started in the good ole days. Seems every hobby Ive ever had greed has tried to ruin it. 

It’s fairly recent, and it comes from a desire on the part of the TPGS to have a growth strategy, in my humble opinion. They have to constantly invent new reasons to slab more garbage, or risk a shrinking population of gradable coins. 

On 5/19/2022 at 1:25 PM, VKurtB said:

Stop me if you’ve heard this before: “I collect COINS, not …” You stopped me.

VKurt move over if there is any room on that soap box!!!!!  you know i am with ya!

On 5/19/2022 at 5:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im with you Kurt. No longer than Ive been collecting Ive seen alot of things thats very ridiculous. H

You know me every time someone comes up with one of these lable post i am like heres your sign!!

On 5/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, VKurtB said:

They have to constantly invent new reasons to slab more garbage, or risk a shrinking population of gradable coins. 

Thats exactly it.. you want first day of issue nui island limited edition silver garbage here ya go!!  geesh i am about ready to quit!!  not to mention all of thes stupid rediculous new vcommems they come up with... 

And this is something I can CATEGORICALLY PROMISE: if the “goose that lays the golden eggs” ever does seem to be getting old, there will “all of a sudden” be a “need” for a revised grading scale, probably 1-100 instead of 1-70, so that EVERY coin needs to be re-graded. Why? Because even MS70’s might turn out to be MS-N99’s or MS-N100’s. 

Of course there’s another “insurance policy” for the industry. It’s the crazies that keep sending in non-errors and non-varieties invented by baseball cap wearing YouTube jockeys. Every road rash coin becomes a gradable rarity. 

Edited by VKurtB

Ive wondered if the mint isnt in with the major tpgs with these low mintage bullion coins. Giving people a reason to have them graded. May not be but it makes me think about it. Wouldnt suprise me either. 

On 5/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, JT2 said:

VKurt move over if there is any room on that soap box!!!!!  you know i am with ya!

I blame Internet numismatics. I seriously do! Get away from the keyboard and get your sorry rumps to a major coin show. “But there’s none near me!” Big deal. There’s none near me either. Orlando is 715 miles from my house. So is Rosemont, so is Pittsburgh. Baltimore is slightly closer. GO ANYWAY!!!! 

On 5/19/2022 at 5:53 PM, VKurtB said:

I blame Internet numismatics. I seriously do! Get away from the keyboard and get your sorry rumps to a major coin show. “But there’s none near me!” Big deal. There’s none near me either. Orlando is 715 miles from my house. So is Rosemont, so is Pittsburgh. Baltimore is slightly closer. GO ANYWAY!!!! 

I would love to but I cant afford it and cant get away from my job long enough. Hopfully one of these days if retirement is still a thing when my time comes, I plan on going to several. Right now I pretty much live from paycheck to paycheck. Have to save up for a month just to buy a coin. Id have to save up for a couple years to afford to go to a show.  Going to a show is pretty much just a dream for me right now like winning the lottery. 

To me, it’s worth almost anything to NOT be buying “Schrödinger’s coins” - those which simultaneously do and do not meet my standards, until I open the box. 

On 5/19/2022 at 2:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Coin shows are way over rated, way way over rated.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:49 PM, Coinbuf said:

Coin shows are way over rated, way way over rated.

Unless that’s how you roll, and it is for me. I bought 4 lots from the Ken Bressett auction at the ANA March show, because I got to look at them in hand. If I hadn’t been in Colorado Springs, I could have never pulled ANY of those four triggers. There were four others I dropped out before hammer. There is ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTE for viewing coins in hand. 

Edited by VKurtB

I love going to coin dealers and antique shops to find coins. I have not been to a show yet but there are some coming up in  my area. now that the virus has slowed down. I do have to say without the resources of the internet I would not have been able to find most of the coins I have now. It would have taken me years to acquire the coins I accumulated in one year, shopping coin shows.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:26 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I source coins from every direction... coin shows, auctions, LCS, dealer websites, eBay.  I have not been long in this hobby, but one thing is for sure.... if you want coins that are good for the grade at competitive prices, you have to look everywhere.  I like coin shows because I can see lots of coins in hand in one place, but the internet is a vehicle that cannot be ignored.

“Vehicle that cannot be ignored.” Just like the 18-wheeler that is headed right at you in your lane.