• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Grading Question.
2 2

17 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Repeating the above, no they don't. Wearing gloves just increases the likelihood of dropping a coin. Graders do keep their hands clean to protect the coins (no eating lunch at their desks). As for masks, these were worn during the pandemic, but only a few continue to do so since then.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:04 PM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

I am not a grader, but when I very first started dealing coins (on occasion), I tried wearing white cotton gloves.  What a big mistake!  One of the first things I did was drop a proof Liberty nickel (not in any kind of holder) on the floor because the smooth edge made it impossible to hold securely.  Imagine the look of horror on my customer's face!  Never made that mistake again.

Yikes! :whatthe:

In years past, I used to notice all-too-frequently arm hairs encapsulated along with the coin - by all the TPGs!  The problem seems to have lessened over the years, but that's probably the single most aggravating problem I've noticed due to (lack of) environmental controls.

Here's a gold coin in a PCGS slab and even the not-so-high resolution photo shows a hair resting on the coin's surface at 3:00.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:24 AM, James at EarlyUS.com said:

In years past, I used to notice all-too-frequently arm hairs encapsulated along with the coin - by all the TPGs!  The problem seems to have lessened over the years, but that's probably the single most aggravating problem I've noticed due to (lack of) environmental controls.

Here's a gold coin in a PCGS slab and even the not-so-high resolution photo shows a hair resting on the coin's surface at 3:00.

Perhaps hair nets also.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:53 AM, Errorists said:

Do coin graders wear masks and gloves when grading coins?

No, but I hear they do wear nose clips when reading discussion board posts. Cool fact: NGC never DID shut down for COVID, did it?

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/19/2022 at 12:07 AM, Cat Bath said:

It gives it character :grin: 

1941.jpg

From what I've seen, it may be a good candidate for a bean.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

From what I've seen, it may be a good candidate for a bean.

Pinto? String? Garbanzo?