• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1993 D penny, bubbles in the clad...

14 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 3:33 PM, Ryn36s said:

Zinc dust... That's interesting. Does something like this add value or is it a common thing to see on coins? 

Super common on the zinc core copper plated cents that started in 1982, no collector that knows anything about coins will want to collect coins like this.   As someone that has collected Lincoln cents for many years this look is not at all cool to me.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 5/15/2022 at 9:58 PM, Coinbuf said:

Super common on the zinc core copper plated cents that started in 1982, no collector that knows anything about coins will want to collect coins like this.   As someone that has collected Lincoln cents for many years this look is not at all cool to me.

It’s a trend these days, C-buf. Be fascinated by the worst coins they can find. :screwy:

On 5/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, VKurtB said:

It’s a trend these days, C-buf. Be fascinated by the worst coins they can find. :screwy:

While I cannot know for sure I suspect that many who are fascinated with this type of coin are simply young and have been influenced by too much misinformation from the click bait sites like youtube and such.   Therefore they seem to think that posting something different, even if it is poorly made junk or damaged, is somehow a way to standout.   Its like the past generations fascination with tattoos or multiple face piercings, it is/was a way to get noticed or seen when the blue hair wasn't getting the job done.   Now today posting this stuff is the way get likes/clicks when you are a small fish in a big internet sea and need twitter followers to define your self worth.

It is also true that many just do not know, they have never been exposed to the world of coins, nice collector coins.   I recall a recent thread ATS where some of the junk that is for sale on ebay was being discussed.   One post detailed how that forum member had contacted a seller asking why the seller felt that his circulated Sac dollar was worth $1,000.   According to the post the seller replied that he/she was only 19 years old and had never seen such a coin so it had to be rare. :makepoint:    Sadly between all the bogus stuff that gets listed/shown on places like etsy, fakebook, ebay, twitter, youtube, and even dealers that push the junk they need to get rid of; it is no wonder why there are so many misguided new collectors out there.

Edited by Coinbuf

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I see coins like that one several times weekly. They've been submitted to NGC as either a variety or a mint error, sometimes both. Of course, it's common enough on Zincolns that we don't mention anything in the label beyond the grade. It's a sad waste of our time and the submitter's money, but those sort of submissions are just growing in number.

On 5/18/2022 at 11:35 AM, DWLange said:

I see coins like that one several times weekly. They've been submitted to NGC as either a variety or a mint error, sometimes both. Of course, it's common enough on Zincolns that we don't mention anything in the label beyond the grade. It's a sad waste of our time and the submitter's money, but those sort of submissions are just growing in number.

The ugly flip side of direct submission. 

@Ryn36s I do agree, it looks "neat".  This is a supreme example of what plating blisters look like.  

I agree with the others, too.  Your cent is not very collectible, and while a coin collection of blistered cents may be "neat", you will likely never be able to sell it.  To collectors, it's simply a "poorly made coin."  It's not an error, nor a variety... just poor quality control.  

That said, your example is a good teaching tool to demonstrate what plating blisters are to a non-collector or kid.  It's a great example of a terrible coin (if that makes any sense) :grin:

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 5/18/2022 at 4:32 PM, VKurtB said:

The ugly flip side of direct submission. 

Yep.  The whole reason why originally you had to submit through an authorized dealer was to weed out stuff like this and to help keep novices from wasting their money on things not worth the submission fees.