• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die polishing lines - interesting feature or distraction?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 7:45 PM, numisport said:

It"s a superb '48-S looks semi prooflike great coin they just don't make them anymore. 

Thanks. It definitely has some shine to it.

While it can be interesting, I find die polish lines to be a negative to the eye appeal aspect.   How much it negatively affects eye appeal depends on the die polish itself, for me the worst is when the lines go both vertical and horizontal.

I am not a big fan of lines on Morgan's because they can be seen in hand but they don't show as much on Nickels unless you scope them up. Nice 48 by the way.(thumbsu 

I look at die polishing lines and planchet adjustment marks also.  I think they are neat, and can add a level of interest.  They help to demonstrate the craft of the mint workers, and become a part of the story.  

If it were a question of me only being able to afford one of the coin type, I would select a coin without marks.  However, I happen to know that this is not your only nickel, so I think it's only additive to the stories your collection holds. (thumbsu