• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Billionaires Collect
1 1

73 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2022 at 2:14 PM, zadok said:

.....10s of thousands......ngc has certified over 7000 alone n that doesnt count all the ag3s n lower that will never be submitted, no clue what pcgs has certified.....

Sounds like the name hyped it up where people would start charging a fortune. 

On 5/23/2022 at 1:14 PM, zadok said:

.....10s of thousands......ngc has certified over 7000 alone n that doesnt count all the ag3s n lower that will never be submitted, no clue what pcgs has certified.....

Wow, I never thought it was that high. But it doesn’t affect me anyway. I’m a quality snob. If it looks good enough for my set, it’ll be expensive. I keep my “regular” 1934 - 1938D BU short set in a Capital Plastics holder. There’s only one I might need to upgrade - the ‘34D. It’s not as lustrous as the others. 

On 5/23/2022 at 2:33 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Sounds like the name hyped it up where people would start charging a fortune. 

...well way back in turtle days...several coin dealers, b. max mehl for one, n others put out coin buy/sell lists n they offered money for certain coins to get new buyers etc...the 1913 v-nickel being one that they knew there wouldnt be any sellers, n another was the '37-d buffalo, which they offered a low price for so they could buy n resell at a profit, there were other rare coins they tantalized would-be-get-rich-readers with that they knew werent out there,it was a marketing ploy, i remember going thru 10,000 or so nickels looking to get rich myself.....the '37-d 3-legged isnt rare but does bring a premium, same is true with the lincoln '09-s vdb...how many do u want? how much money do u have?....thats not to say that these coins r not rare in certain higher grades, its just that overall they r not rare coins.....

On 5/23/2022 at 2:39 PM, VKurtB said:

Wow, I never thought it was that high. But it doesn’t affect me anyway. I’m a quality snob. If it looks good enough for my set, it’ll be expensive. I keep my “regular” 1934 - 1938D BU short set in a Capital Plastics holder. There’s only one I might need to upgrade - the ‘34D. It’s not as lustrous as the others. 

....i like to put some of my favorite coins in the capital plastic holders myself, so u can see them all at once....only problem now is that the capital plastic holders cost more than the coins.....

On 5/23/2022 at 3:20 PM, zadok said:

....i like to put some of my favorite coins in the capital plastic holders myself, so u can see them all at once....only problem now is that the capital plastic holders cost more than the coins.....

I just looked up those type coin holders. Those are very neat but your right about them being expensive. I seen some around $80 to $90 a piece. Very beautiful though. Bet they look good filled with some lusterous coins. 

On 5/23/2022 at 2:20 PM, zadok said:

Yeah, what is up wit dat? I got many at coin auctions for dirt cheap. Some I snagged from junk bins at supplier booths at coin shows. I got a bag of over a hundred plastic screw sets for a dollar at one PA auction. The one I’m looking for now is a Franklin Proof 1950-1963. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/23/2022 at 2:39 PM, VKurtB said:

PCGS has graded about 10000.

There are several thousand "high grade" in the pops (to my recollection) though undoubtedly numerous duplicates.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:46 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I just looked up those type coin holders. Those are very neat but your right about them being expensive. I seen some around $80 to $90 a piece. Very beautiful though. Bet they look good filled with some lusterous coins. 

That's really expensive.  I assume it must be the ones for full sets like the Indian Head QE and HE.  Or, maybe 20th century US type set.

I owned the singles back in the 70's.  I believe it cost between $1 and $2.

On 5/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, World Colonial said:

That's really expensive.  I assume it must be the ones for full sets like the Indian Head QE and HE.  Or, maybe 20th century US type set.

I owned the singles back in the 70's.  I believe it cost between $1 and $2.

Yea its the bigger ones. I seen the singles are alot cheaper. Heres a screen shot of the ones I was looking at. Lumii_20220523_164924275.thumb.jpg.5b5018e3b744a5401bb80233946f7ede.jpg

On 5/23/2022 at 4:50 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Yea its the bigger ones. I seen the singles are alot cheaper. Heres a screen shot of the ones I was looking at. Lumii_20220523_164924275.thumb.jpg.5b5018e3b744a5401bb80233946f7ede.jpg

May be able to shop around and find them cheaper. Just a quick google search. Just looked and a 5 coin proof set holder is under $6.

Edited by Hoghead515