• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions to change Lincoln cent began in 1911

3 posts in this topic

To:      James E. Fraser

June 9, 1911

The Belgian coin bearing the portrait of King Leopold which you showed me when here made a great impression upon me. Dr. Andrew and I have been wondering whether some such effect might not be obtained with the Lincoln head instead of the present miniature reproduction of a design originally made for a medal. We would have to get an act of Congress to allow us to change the present design, it having been adopted only a few years ago, but we would be willing to try if we had such a substitute at hand. What do you think of it?

Edited by RWB

By 1912----

To:      Fraser

January 18, 1912

I presume you have received within a few days a letter from the Secretary of the treasury indicating that your designs have received such favorable consideration that the way is now open to deal more definitively upon the subject.

We cannot, as you understand, change the design on the one cent piece unless we can get Congress sufficiently interested to grant special authority as the law forbids changes by executive action oftener than once in 25 years. We all like your Lincoln head very much better than the Lincoln Bust which now appears upon this coin and it is possible that we may be able to bring the matter to the attention of the Coinage committees of Congress.

Edited by RWB