• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver stacking. Your opinions wanted.

38 posts in this topic

I've been coin collecting for quite a few years now. I bought some gold, but mainly I was buying bullion and silver proof American Eagles, silver proof sets, silver proof coins, Presidential dollars and many more different types of coins. I bought mostly from the mint, people I trusted or graded coins for sale on ebay. I started stacking about a year ago. I'm stacking because I have concerns about the economy and the US dollar. So I started buying large and small lots of generic silver rounds and bars. My goal with stacking, is to get the biggest bang for my buck, in case the dollar gets into trouble. That way, I'll have another source to buy goods, if it comes down to that. Some people have told me that stacking the American Eagles and Maple Leaf's etc. is the way to go. They keep telling me they'll retain their value and most likely always go up, like they are now. But I bought the Eagles and other proofs for my collection, not for stacking. So I'm wondering what you all think is the best "type" of silver to stack, if you were doing it because of general fear of the economy and the dollar. What's your opinion and/or what are you stacking? Thanks.

Sovereign bullion coins are needed for liquidity in the event some must be sold due to an emergency. The same applies to accredited mint generic silver and gold bullion. The best bang for your buck right now are larger bars with less premium, such as 10 oz and 100 oz bars from ASAHI or other well known mints. 
The premiums on ASE’s are absurd because of the US Mint reducing production. This is turn has caused premiums on other products including generics to double since October 2021. Good Luck!

Eagles have more value than a plain old round but I am not sure if it matters in a emergency if it is a eagle or a round and if you would even be able to buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk with either one.

I agree stacking precious metals isn’t the smartest way to hedge against a falling dollar, a lot of people do it. If stacking silver is your goal I would suggest finding silver with the lowest premium over spot. It best meets your need of being an emergency fund and it’s a better buy. Look for bars or generic rounds. Paying the premium for the other stuff defeats them purpose of stacking in my opinion. 

I do worry about the US economy, but I just decided a while back to invest 25% in ex us markets. That’s always an option. The Asian markets are a popular choice. Sadly the global market will struggle to survive without the US as well. To me it’s more about maximizing the purchase potential of my money versus hedging against the end of days. 

On 5/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, RWB said:

Better to stock your freezer with negotiable beef, chicken and ham.

----- Oh, and add a big pile of electrons to run that freezer.

Don't forget the rum too.  People will always trade for some rum.

Remember the tea party (revolution) was because of high taxes on the ingredients that makes rum. Rum was/is very important. 

also as Warren Buffett previously said - buy farm land. Especially land with a water source.

Silver isnt a good option to stack whne the economy goes south amd stock markets crash --  over the last 50 years the last 10 biggest recesion periods silver has lost almost 18% during those times... their has been som outliers like the hunt bronthers inthe 80's with a 66% decline and thne again in the early 20's where it dropped 33%. .. so now you have to ask yourself WHY would i take this risk it is almost as bad as the stock market.   So is this an investment?  do you  think that this wil out perform your normal investments? or is this just part of a well balanced portfolio?   I say stacking is not wise if you are trying to make money. as shown it is not a hedge. unless you think that losing is good?

On 5/12/2022 at 9:02 AM, RWB said:

Any silver or gold "stackers" getting baby formula with it, or will you let your kid be malnourished and developmentally retarded?

The evidence that the answer to your query is “yes” is pretty voluminous and disturbing. 

On 5/11/2022 at 4:28 PM, Scott0949 said:

I'm stacking because I have concerns about the economy and the US dollar. 

You should stack because you LIKE IT and/or because you want a little disaster portfolio.  You SHOULD NOT stack because you have concerns about the economy or US dollar. 

Those have nothing to do with silver prices and also are low-probability events.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

Dear "Dorothy"   I didn't want to write a book and tell you my entire financial situation and/or tell you all about my other investments. So if that makes me stupid, so be it. I also didn't want to bore others with the details. However, I will say this. I take 10% of my investment funds and put it into gold and silver. The rest is invested in other avenues, which I won't bore you with. I'd love to tell you how I really feel, but I refuse to stoop down to your level. But I do hope your comment made you feel like a big man. I would hate to see your inflated ego get bruised.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:10 PM, VKurtB said:

Gold and silver are NOT investments. At BEST they are speculation instruments. 

Kurt nailed it....the stock market has been tanking, rates rising, inflation soaring -- and Bitcoin and cryptos, The Great Saviors, are down 30% in a few weeks.

NEVER bet on correlations !!

I bet the old guy whose estate sale I attended a couple of years back thought the 20 ROLLS of 2011 Silver American Eagles he had bought were an investment too. 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, JT2 said:

here we go again... question asked,........ question answered ..........argument ........ dang butthurt

No argument.....additional facts to steer folks here correctly.  Nobody told him NOT to buy silver and/or stack.

We just said make sure you are doing it for the RIGHT reason.(thumbsu

His thread title included “opinions wanted”. Apparently that was a lie. If he had said “only opinions that accept my flawed premise” that would be different, but clearly that’s what he meant. What evs.

Here, I’ll show you so you don’t even have to scroll up:

29B32210-EDA6-41BB-90A9-516D08316EE1.jpeg.a8fd4402e3d949800e29a4a3466bef24.jpeg

QED

Edited by VKurtB

I soon realized after my first few purchase's from dealers comments, and some well placed comments and replies here on the boards. My ASE set I put together for the kids was nice but not really a investment. They are what ever the market is unless they are in a slab. You may be able get a little more but most dealers only want to pay market or just pass on them. The mint and advertising market has made them more than what they are in reality.

On 5/13/2022 at 8:05 AM, J P Mashoke said:

I soon realized after my first few purchase's from dealers comments, and some well placed comments and replies here on the boards. My ASE set I put together for the kids was nice but not really a investment. They are what ever the market is unless they are in a slab. You may be able get a little more but most dealers only want to pay market or just pass on them. The mint and advertising market has made them more than what they are in reality.

I have detailed the sub-par returns for Trophy Coins which wealthy buyers will purchase and are price-insensitive like the 1933 Saint-Gaudens, the 1908-S Saint, etc.  You can do it for any number of 6 or 7 or 8-figure coins.

Almost invariably, the annual return made on the coins, unless you got very lucky/fortunate buying super-low and selling super-high....is 5-7% a year.  This is for unique, trophy coins sold to wealthy individuals who don't mind paying up.

Now extrapolate that to our price-sensitive low-end coins, graded or not.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, VKurtB said:

His thread title included “opinions wanted”. Apparently that was a lie. If he had said “only opinions that accept my flawed premise” that would be different, but clearly that’s what he meant. What evs.

Here, I’ll show you so you don’t even have to scroll up:

29B32210-EDA6-41BB-90A9-516D08316EE1.jpeg.a8fd4402e3d949800e29a4a3466bef24.jpeg

QED

Yes, I asked for opinions. No, I'm not butthurt. I appreciated the responses except for yours. Everyone else was polite and gave their opinion in a professional manner. Imo, calling someone "stupid" is just bad taste and shows your immaturity. You're entitled to your opinion, just as is everyone else. But to blast out a huge picture that calls me stupid is just bad taste....... period. 

Edited by Scott0949

On 5/17/2022 at 11:01 AM, Scott0949 said:

Yes, I asked for opinions. No, I'm not butthurt. I appreciated the responses except for yours. Everyone else was polite and gave their opinion in a professional manner. Imo, calling someone "stupid" is just bad taste and shows your immaturity. You're entitled to your opinion, just as is everyone else. But to blast out a huge picture that calls me stupid is just bad taste....... period. 

In all fairness, it WAS directed at ALL true believer stackers, not you in particular. But if the shoe fits…