• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starcityhomer Instagram hacked ETA--I got it back. It's 'me' again :D
1 1

13 posts in this topic

ETA:  I did get the account back (I'd posted below, but figured the topic got more attention).

Well, this old Luddite decided to enter the 21st century.  I started a hobby Instagram with my starcityhomer name and another account for my pets about 5 days ago.  SCH was doing well, posted some of my nicer yen coins and had about 70 people either following or being followed.  Got a security warning and a message I needed to enter a security code sent via SMS.  No code arrived (and as a test I added the phone number to my pet account and no SMS would go through there either when I tried setting up two factor authentication).  

After some painful loops of clicking for password recovery and repeatedly getting dumped in an unhelpful help section, I finally got to an option where an email recovery was sent.  Not my email.  No emails to me notifying me of a change.  Etc.  Tried using my email as a recovery input and was told the email was not associated with an Instagram account.  For fun I tried setting up a new account, nope that email is already associated with an account (not sure how both statements are true).

In any case, and the point of this, the starcityhomer Instagram is not under my control if it even still exists.  I know some of the people I connected with are over here.  So if you are getting weird things from that account, it's not me!  If by some miracle I get my account back I'll post.  And if I set up a new one I'll post that too.

Edited by Star City Homer
updated title

On 5/7/2022 at 12:40 PM, RWB said:

Sorry! I have only a Homer Simpson account, but no one has used it. It's only 10 years old though.

:roflmao:

Homer was a good boy (my dog that is) :D .   

Poking around I have to guess I clicked a link in a message and got hacked.  Apparently that is a thing.  My other new account is fine, but I no activity other than suddenly some Rambo coin collectible person is following it.  I'm going to delete because that other account has NOTHING to do with coins.  Makes me suspicious.  Or paranoid.  Or in need of a Duff beer.  Or a case of Duff beer.  

I'll restart it at some point.  I had some of my best one yen coins up already.  In any case, if it was a large scale hacking I'd be more worried.  Plus I was thinking of modifying the name and retiring the Homer part.  He was my good boy but I get a little sad sometimes with his name in my handle.  But my other coin board handle is unlikely to be available and would not mesh well with the StarCity part which I am still attached to.  StarCityStork does not do it for me.  

On 5/8/2022 at 7:08 AM, Zebo said:

Keep the Homer - it’s a good name that has some meaning. Good luck with the IG. Did you attend the Richmond show? If so, how about a show report.

No, no shows (and never have gotten to the Richmond one).  I don't work there anymore so now just passing through if headed to Williamsburg (proud moment/mom-brag, kiddo is about to finish his freshman year at W&M).  

I do like the Homer name though.  He was a good dog.  I could get more generic and switch to 'collections', but StarCityCollections is a little yawn.  I did grab that domain just in case though. 

Other than Instagram I'm trying out Wordpress which means I can build a better site.  I've let it sit for a couple years with no work because my first attempt was with a proprietary system that was slick at first for a newbie, but really wasn't easy to use once I got to 20+ pages.  Moving means redoing the site and this time I decided to be a little more portable and flexible.  But I'm still trying to figure it out.  Paralysis by analysis is real. 

Getting a domain name, picking a web host, do they have a site builder or builder plug in I want to use, do I dive into Wordpress or try and 'take a class' so to speak, pick a template....etc.  Too many things!  And all the templates are for selling, businesses, blogging, etc.  Nothing jumps out quickly for a collector just trying to show off coins.  

I feel like I'm trying to make a very self-centered and egotistical museum.  Not a common template out there so time to build up one.

Ah well, I digress.  No shows for me since forever.  I almost made the last NYINC but we had a conflict (a long planned vacation and that got cancelled at the last minute so I didn't get either one).  Sigh.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, Zebo said:

Too bad about the NYINC. I’ve always wanted to attend that one. Good luck with the website. A lot of work, but in the end, hopefully worth it. 

I might get the NYINC back in my rotation if the crime wave ever settles down. I wouldn’t spend time in Midtown these days if you paid me. 

On 5/9/2022 at 8:50 PM, Zebo said:

Too bad about the NYINC. I’ve always wanted to attend that one. Good luck with the website. A lot of work, but in the end, hopefully worth it. 

If I could only do one show this is the one.  Whitman in Baltimore is fun, and I loved my two ANA shows.  But NYINC is my favorite.  

I forgot to ask you if you made the Richmond one.  And honestly I'm not even sure if the one near Roanoke has been going on.  They changed up the signage out front of the post and it's impossible to read driving by.  

And on a happy note, I got a message from Instagram saying my account had been 'disabled by mistake'.  I happened to be trying again and found my way in--it still wanted to send an SMS code and for whatever reason my phone is not getting them from Instagram.  I had the code sent to my husband's phone and made it back into my account.  Felt all proud of myself until I read the email and realized they were literally reactivating the account at the same time.  My first log in had no name/avatar picture and my second had them both back.  It was actually a pretty fast fix considering it was the weekend when it all happened.  

So, if anyone is interested, I have gotten a few of my 1 yen coins up so far.  And it's me again (whoever 'me' is :D) 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:29 AM, Star City Homer said:

If I could only do one show this is the one.  Whitman in Baltimore is fun, and I loved my two ANA shows.  But NYINC is my favorite.  

I forgot to ask you if you made the Richmond one.  And honestly I'm not even sure if the one near Roanoke has been going on.  They changed up the signage out front of the post and it's impossible to read driving by.  

And on a happy note, I got a message from Instagram saying my account had been 'disabled by mistake'.  I happened to be trying again and found my way in--it still wanted to send an SMS code and for whatever reason my phone is not getting them from Instagram.  I had the code sent to my husband's phone and made it back into my account.  Felt all proud of myself until I read the email and realized they were literally reactivating the account at the same time.  My first log in had no name/avatar picture and my second had them both back.  It was actually a pretty fast fix considering it was the weekend when it all happened.  

So, if anyone is interested, I have gotten a few of my 1 yen coins up so far.  And it's me again (whoever 'me' is :D) 

I meant to attend the Richmond show, but in the end decided it was a long drive and I just didn’t feel like it. Maybe another time as I would like to see how it compares the the show in Fredericksburg. 

On 5/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, VKurtB said:

I might get the NYINC back in my rotation if the crime wave ever settles down. I wouldn’t spend time in Midtown these days if you paid me. 

Every man has his price. Crime wave? False News. 🐓 

On 5/30/2022 at 9:48 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Every man has his price. Crime wave? False News. 🐓 

I don’t believe that. The crime statistics in NYC say otherwise. And besides, I’m no longer comparing NYC with other northeast cities. I’m comparing it with a sleepy Alabama town with virtually zero crime other than loud auto exhaust. When a kid’s bike gets stolen, it makes the newspaper. But it has twice the population of Rosemont, Illinois. 

Edited by VKurtB