• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die Gouge Or Hubbed-In Debris On 2002P Louisiana Quarter?
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Bought a bunch of these thinking they were die cracks only to find out later they may be die gouges or hubbed-in debris upon closer inspection. Need expert analysis..

Screenshot_20220507-073842_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-074118_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-074040_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220507-073752_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Errorists

I can honestly tell you that I have NEVER used this much magnification to look at ANY state quarter ever. They just aren’t worth my time. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Nice Tennessee quarter.  I especially like the part that says Louisiana. :tonofbricks:

Holy Batman it’s another error. An insignificant die scratch and struck using dies from the wrong state. Call Ken Potter Immediately!!

On 5/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, Woods020 said:

Holy Batman it’s another error. An insignificant die scratch and struck using dies from the wrong state. Call Ken Potter Immediately!!

Magical! Call Harry Potter !

On 5/7/2022 at 11:37 AM, RWB said:

Magical! Call Harry Potter !

You’re all muggles, aren’t you? The only one dealing in “magic” these days is Ken Potter. Magical THINKING. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, Oldhoopster said:

Nice Tennessee quarter.  I especially like the part that says Louisiana. :tonofbricks:

Error corrected. TYVM. Thanks for reminding me about the Tennessee die gouge I have to post next.. :)

On 5/7/2022 at 12:29 PM, VKurtB said:

If you need a digital microscope to see it, it ain’t worth 💩.

Clark Kent and his X-ray vision couldn't see it with those humongous bifocals you got on..

On 5/7/2022 at 2:39 PM, Errorists said:

Clark Kent and his X-ray vision couldn't see it with those humongous bifocals you got on..

CVS cheap readers. It doesn’t change the fact that you are obsessed with things that have no market value. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/7/2022 at 2:41 PM, VKurtB said:

CVS cheap readers. It doesn’t change the fact that you are obsessed with things that have no market value. 

Actually, obsessed with all coins. Can prove it too..

I guess they are ok finds for people that have more time on their hands than most. I'm basically retired now and still would not be using my time to 20x dissect coins for anomalies so minute that they have no significant value whatsoever. I may spend a little time on known varieties but all these pocket change errors are beginning to bore me. Lol

On 5/7/2022 at 3:08 PM, bsshog40 said:

I guess they are ok finds for people that have more time on their hands than most. I'm basically retired now and still would not be using my time to 20x dissect coins for anomalies so minute that they have no significant value whatsoever. I may spend a little time on known varieties but all these pocket change errors are beginning to bore me. Lol

The fun/hard part for me is looking for unknown varieties.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, Alex in PA. said:

Man oh man.  You remind me so much of someone from the past.  

Ratzie33.jpg

Well you never will find them if you don't look for them. Sort of like playing the lotto..

On 5/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, Errorists said:

Unknown varieties are a complete waste of time, unless one is totally disabled and bedridden. False ones outnumber real ones by 10,000:1 or more. 

By the way, there IS NO lotto in my state and I completely don’t miss it. I never played it when I could in my previous state. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/7/2022 at 4:15 PM, Errorists said:

And creating them.

On 5/20/2022 at 7:32 AM, Errorists said:

Just found out this could also be a hubbed-in debris error..

I don't see how.

On 5/20/2022 at 12:45 PM, Errorists said:

Doesn't go thru the design so it could be either one. Which one is it is the question?

The die is a “negative” of the coin. So what does that mean when a mark is only seen on the fields of the coin, the lowest part of the coin? How could it possibly be from a hub, which is a positive of the coin? Has to be on the die. But when in its life? Any jabronie could take a scribe and run it over a die at any point in its life. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/20/2022 at 8:32 AM, Errorists said:

Just found out this could also be a hubbed-in debris error..

Incredibly unlikely. If someone suggested this to you, they likely know very little about how hubs and dies are made, and used.

Totally agree that looking through your change is a great entry point into the hobby.  I also agree that these little finds can be fun (especially when not much is found in change).  But, you could probably pull a coin like this from every box of quarters you hunt.  That, by definition, makes it pretty common, and not worth much above face (if anything).  Still fun to find.

Building a complete State Quarter set with die GOUGES like this on every coin would be very interesting.  IMO, that's how you can make these common errors "cool" to a wider scope of collectors.  I respect the effort and dedication that it would take to put this set together.  This would be a real challenge to complete. 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 5/20/2022 at 12:45 PM, Errorists said:

Doesn't go thru the design so it could be either one.

Debris between the surfaces of the die and hub will conform to the shape of the raised areas of the hub and be pressed into the recessed areas of the die.  That would mean the it would show up on the highest part of the design, as well as the field. Kurt explained it, and Roger confirmed it, but here is the description on error ref.

http://www.error-ref.com/hubbed-in-debris/

On 5/20/2022 at 3:24 PM, RWB said:

Incredibly unlikely. If someone suggested this to you, they likely know very little about how hubs and dies are made, and used.

Either way it's a variety..

On 5/20/2022 at 3:46 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Totally agree that looking through your change is a great entry point into the hobby.  I also agree that these little finds can be fun (especially when not much is found in change).  But, you could probably pull a coin like this from every box of quarters you hunt.  That, by definition, makes it pretty common, and not worth much above face (if anything).  Still fun to find.

Building a complete State Quarter set with die cracks like this on every coin would be very interesting.  IMO, that's how you can make these common errors "cool" to a wider scope of collectors.  I respect the effort and dedication that it would take to put this set together.  This would be a real challenge to complete. 

Except for it's not a die crack..