• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1914 Drei Mark Bayern German States
1 1

11 posts in this topic

What grade do you think this would receive? It has excellent lustre, especially the reverse which has a full cartwheel and is stunning. My opinion after studying it is MS63 or MS64 but interested in your views. It only cost me £30 so I'm thinking of sending it in.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Boy, that sure is pretty. 

It's possible that those field marks behind the base of his neck will really hurt. I think they will definitely keep it out of the five camp.

I know less than nothing about these, but using basic grading guidelines I would agree with the 63. Just one uninformed opinion. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Woods020 said:

I know less than nothing about these, but using basic grading guidelines I would agree with the 63. Just one uninformed opinion. 

You know more than you think, Woodsie. 

I will say I find German coins to be very attractive. If I ventured into foreign I would probably start there. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, Woods020 said:

I will say I find German coins to be very attractive. If I ventured into foreign I would probably start there. 

Swiss stuff can be boring, but the technical excellence makes up for it. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, VKurtB said:

Swiss stuff can be boring, but the technical excellence makes up for it. 

I can’t help but love the British coinage as well. I readily admit there is a lot of very very attractive coinage out there outside our borders. I love the Irish stuff as well. US coinage isn’t always the most attractive if we are being honest. And our stuff now makes me embarrassed. 

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'd be happy at 63 but annoyed at 62. :insane:

I'll send it in, I love the reverse. Yeah some European coins have very attractive designs indeed, I basically collect world coins but there are some very attractive USA classic coins, the Morgan Dollar is tough to beat. I love the crisp strike and lustre of the 1881 S. 

On 5/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, Woods020 said:

I can’t help but love the British coinage as well. I readily admit there is a lot of very very attractive coinage out there outside our borders. I love the Irish stuff as well. US coinage isn’t always the most attractive if we are being honest. And our stuff now makes me embarrassed. 

When I went to my first local coin show here (at the Gadsden Mall), I was struck immediately by two truths - almost no world coins, BUT… as a noticeable exception, more high quality Nazi Germany material than you could shake a howitzer at. 

On 5/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, VKurtB said:

When I went to my first local coin show here (at the Gadsden Mall), I was struck immediately by two truths - almost no world coins, BUT… as a noticeable exception, more high quality Nazi Germany material than you could shake a howitzer at. 

That show is kind of a joke. I drove up when I first moved back hoping for the best. It was as expected of a coin show in the middle of a small town mall.