1914 Drei Mark Bayern German States
1 1

11 posts in this topic

What grade do you think this would receive? It has excellent lustre, especially the reverse which has a full cartwheel and is stunning. My opinion after studying it is MS63 or MS64 but interested in your views. It only cost me £30 so I'm thinking of sending it in.

Thanks in advance.

 

 

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boy, that sure is pretty. 

It's possible that those field marks behind the base of his neck will really hurt. I think they will definitely keep it out of the five camp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know less than nothing about these, but using basic grading guidelines I would agree with the 63. Just one uninformed opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 11:17 AM, Woods020 said:

I know less than nothing about these, but using basic grading guidelines I would agree with the 63. Just one uninformed opinion. 

You know more than you think, Woodsie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say I find German coins to be very attractive. If I ventured into foreign I would probably start there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 11:21 AM, Woods020 said:

I will say I find German coins to be very attractive. If I ventured into foreign I would probably start there. 

Swiss stuff can be boring, but the technical excellence makes up for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 11:23 AM, VKurtB said:

Swiss stuff can be boring, but the technical excellence makes up for it. 

I can’t help but love the British coinage as well. I readily admit there is a lot of very very attractive coinage out there outside our borders. I love the Irish stuff as well. US coinage isn’t always the most attractive if we are being honest. And our stuff now makes me embarrassed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I'd be happy at 63 but annoyed at 62. :insane:

I'll send it in, I love the reverse. Yeah some European coins have very attractive designs indeed, I basically collect world coins but there are some very attractive USA classic coins, the Morgan Dollar is tough to beat. I love the crisp strike and lustre of the 1881 S. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, Woods020 said:

I can’t help but love the British coinage as well. I readily admit there is a lot of very very attractive coinage out there outside our borders. I love the Irish stuff as well. US coinage isn’t always the most attractive if we are being honest. And our stuff now makes me embarrassed. 

When I went to my first local coin show here (at the Gadsden Mall), I was struck immediately by two truths - almost no world coins, BUT… as a noticeable exception, more high quality Nazi Germany material than you could shake a howitzer at. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, VKurtB said:

When I went to my first local coin show here (at the Gadsden Mall), I was struck immediately by two truths - almost no world coins, BUT… as a noticeable exception, more high quality Nazi Germany material than you could shake a howitzer at. 

That show is kind of a joke. I drove up when I first moved back hoping for the best. It was as expected of a coin show in the middle of a small town mall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1