• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you like to test your grading skills?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

UNC Details Obverse Scratched was my first impression. Very nice coin and a great giveaway from ATS. I remember a discussion about this coin and the giveaway but I don't remember the grade. 

Deceiving looks ?  Wish mine looked that nice. There’s some pitting around the 2. I’ll try 60. 

Edited by Dave1384

So the scratch showing at the bottom of the obv is not that bad really. The light is reflecting it. The one that the light didn't catch very well is by the Trust banner which is a little worse. Here is what PCI called it. 

20220423_192554.jpg

Yea, I put a small magnifier to it and didn't see any hairlines. Could be an old cleaning? Mark has a good eye!  It's starting to tone a little here and there also. I was really fortunate to win it as I think it's still a pretty cool coin. It also looks like it has a nice die crack under "States Of" also. 

On 4/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, ronnie stein said:

Whizzed around the 2 maybe.

It may well be. May have had some environmental damage in that area and cleaned. It has some minor pitting in that area that I don't see anywhere else. 

On 4/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, ronnie stein said:

Whizzed around the 2 maybe.

Typically, when a coin’s been whizzed, it’s over the entire surface area. Since the process is used to simulate mint luster, there’s not really a good reason to alter just a small portion of the coin.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, Errorists said:

That coin isn't whizzed. If you want an example of of whizzed coin check out my Avatar..

On 4/24/2022 at 9:39 AM, Errorists said:

That coin isn't whizzed. If you want an example of of whizzed coin check out my Avatar..

I wouldn’t make such a statement, based just on an image. Whizzing and cleaning aren’t always apparent in images. And I can’t tell anything by viewing your avatar.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:44 AM, MarkFeld said:

I wouldn’t make such a statement, based just on an image. Whizzing and cleaning aren’t always apparent in images. And I can’t tell anything by viewing your avatar.

How about near the wrens tail on this South Carolina quarter? It looks whizzed.. Looks like a Whizzer to me..

Screenshot_20220424-102542_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220424-102440_Gallery.jpg

On 4/24/2022 at 10:29 AM, Errorists said:

How about near the wrens tail on this South Carolina quarter? It looks whizzed.. Looks like a Whizzer to me..

Screenshot_20220424-102542_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220424-102440_Gallery.jpg

I can’t tell a thing from that picture.

This was a very generous giveaway. I would not have guessed whizzed by these pics myself, but we all know pics are difficult to work from. The surfaces do not appear that smooth to me. This is where having the coin in hand to see the cartwheel, or lack thereof, would be very helpful.Regardless a nice coin for a giveaway.

Edited by Woods020

The coin had some very nice luster to it. I'm not familiar with the series nor the type of toning they get. It has a little nice blue/purpulish color to it. I've seen whizzed and polished coins and usually you can't get away from hairlines with either of these methods. Maybe so!!! I would never have guessed whizzed if it hadn't been on the slab. I personally like the way it looks. 

On 4/24/2022 at 2:57 PM, bsshog40 said:

The coin had some very nice luster to it. I'm not familiar with the series nor the type of toning they get. It has a little nice blue/purpulish color to it. I've seen whizzed and polished coins and usually you can't get away from hairlines with either of these methods. Maybe so!!! I would never have guessed whizzed if it hadn't been on the slab. I personally like the way it looks. 

Bobby, appealing or not, the color doesn’t look natural, which is any I guessed questionable color/cleaned. I’m not picking on the coin, just trying to provide a hopefully-helpful assessment.

Now that I really look at the coin, I do have to agree with whizzed. It does have the raised metal at the tops of the letters commonly associated with a whizzing. 

Edit: I do still think the coin will be detailed for the scratch as well if submitted today. Not trying to rip on the coin, it is a rather nice example and a great giveaway. Thanks for sharing!

20220423_193839.thumb.png.3496d637d491c336ad18c2d84e841df0.png

Edited by FlyingAl

On 4/24/2022 at 3:18 PM, MarkFeld said:

Bobby, appealing or not, the color doesn’t look natural, which is any I guessed questionable color/cleaned. I’m not picking on the coin, just trying to provide a hopefully-helpful assessment.

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your input. As I stated, don't know anything about these. I don't plan on doing anything with it anyway. Keep it in the slab and put it up. 

On 4/24/2022 at 4:03 PM, bsshog40 said:

Thanks Mark. I appreciate your input. As I stated, don't know anything about these. I don't plan on doing anything with it anyway. Keep it in the slab and put it up. 

Enjoy.

Professor Harold used to hold some giveaway contests here. I thought they were fun. I don't really have anything to give away, but maybe someone (Slightly Evil) does. Maybe someone from HA could contribute, write it off as advertising.