• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Possible 1964 proof Kennedy????
2 2

10 posts in this topic

The old soft pack mint and proof sets have been thrown around and stored improperly for decades now. They are often in poor condition. 

On 4/23/2022 at 3:59 PM, Errorists said:

Some spots on it making me think less then proof.

You REALLY need to read and study more. A proof coin can literally be crumbed up beyond belief and still be a proof. All coins that start life as proofs remain as proofs. 

Not trying to retread an "old" thread, but I believe this quandary, this endless equivocating and non-stop speculating was non-existent--and by all means, correct me if I am wrong--before proof coins were being graded.  Now we have, "my proof MS-whatever, is better than yours." I am unalterably opposed to anything that fuels the craze for micro-distinctions, but understand the economic incentives at play here. I just choose to allow any circa 1960's Red Book do the talking for me as plainly stated here by at least two distinguished members: the mintage of coins is a process (using specially prepared planchets) and not a grade. Period. Post Mint Damage does not fly in the face of this basic fact. I am glad the OP posed the question, and I am delighted he got crystal-clear responses.

On 6/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Not trying to retread an "old" thread, but I believe this quandary, this endless equivocating and non-stop speculating was non-existent--and by all means, correct me if I am wrong--before proof coins were being graded.  Now we have, "my proof MS-whatever, is better than yours." I am unalterably opposed to anything that fuels the craze for micro-distinctions, but understand the economic incentives at play here. I just choose to allow any circa 1960's Red Book do the talking for me as plainly stated here by at least two distinguished members: the mintage of coins is a process (using specially prepared planchets) and not a grade. Period. Post Mint Damage does not fly in the face of this basic fact. I am glad the OP posed the question, and I am delighted he got crystal-clear responses.

In the case of a 1964 half dollar, the average Proof and the average business strike are worth about the same amount. So there’s no meaningful economic incentive in distinguishing the method of manufacture.

On 6/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am unalterably opposed to anything that fuels the craze for micro-distinctions

You and Cliff Mishler both.