• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Washington Quarter GTG
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 4/17/2022 at 6:00 PM, Lem E said:

Not super proud of this coin and considered it a bad buy, but I figured I would throw it out there as a GTG and get some use out of it. Let’s test them skills.

E73BC4E2-BB45-430E-B9BF-D765F216ACD2.jpeg

F4840123-41E3-4FFF-9FB4-C32830899632.jpeg

I think its a beauty. I like coins with light toning like that. Looks antique looking. Im gonna guess ms66+ judging by ones ive looked at and own just by the pics. 

On 4/17/2022 at 7:52 PM, Walkerfan said:

I didn't even read the OP's comments, until just now.  

Is it the small spot on the obverse?

As long as the coin is stable; I think that is trivial.  

No, the spot doesn’t really bother me. The seller pics fooled me into thinking it had some color to it. Most of the time the color is hidden in pics and the coin is usually better in hand. Not the case with this one. Complete opposite.

On 4/17/2022 at 9:33 PM, Lem E said:

No, the spot doesn’t really bother me. The seller pics fooled me into thinking it had some color to it. Most of the time the color is hidden in pics and the coin is usually better in hand. Not the case with this one. Complete opposite.

Shes still a beauty. I really really like her. Alot!!!!!!!!

It's a "47" --- says so right on the coin...

As for condition -- Unc-65. Scrapes on the forehead and cheek, plus the field to the left. I would not necessarily object to Unc-66, though.

I grade it “purdy’n a prom date”. I don’t do GTG from photos, but I bet the number is gaudy.  

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/18/2022 at 7:11 PM, Lem E said:

Ok here it is. These are the original seller pics. It really isn’t a bad looking coin, just not what I was after for the set I’m building.  Decent luster and pretty clean overall. Was hoping for a bit more color other than brown and yellow. Maybe “bad buy” was a little harsh. Thanks all for the responses.

182C6EB0-0BD2-4611-9D14-952A54D59EF2.jpeg

15962A72-BF88-409B-BFFA-6C0E134139A2.jpeg

So nice! Very mark free. 

I got better at grading those GWs. I look at quite a few of them. What prize do I win @Lem E?  lollollol Thats a true beauty my opinion. I really fell in love with it guessing the grade. Nice addition brother. 

Edited by Hoghead515

That’s the thing about this coin. It looks much better in the seller pics than it does in hand. The first pics are more accurate. I wasn’t expecting vivid rainbow colors or anything, but thought there would be subtle hints of pink on the reverse and the luster isn’t quite as good. It does have pretty clean surfaces. I have had this coin for a while. Just got the pics back from Joe a few weeks ago. It is a nice coin overall but sometimes pics can fool you. @Hoghead515 your prize is that warm fuzzy feeling of being right. (thumbsu Thanks all.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:15 AM, Lem E said:

I think I was expecting more from the coin than I should have. I usually have pretty good luck when I buy and am happy with the coin in hand. There have been several times that the coin is much better than I thought it would be. It would be nice to be able to see the coin in person before a purchase, but I am pretty well locked into buying online. I just don’t have the opportunity to go to shows and there isn’t a good LCS anywhere near me. 

Same here. Its hard for me to go somewhere where I can buy a coin in hand due to my location. Im pretty much stuck buying online. 

On 4/18/2022 at 10:41 PM, Woods020 said:

Not unusual. Some look better, some look worse. I’ve been photographing a ton of coins lately and it’s a real struggle. Toning, for me, is impossible to get perfect. Mine come out way more muted than it is in hand. I’ve tried everything and the dang slabs reflecting light make it almost impossible. On the other hand many sellers seem to max out saturation and vibrance and it in no way reflects the coin. It’s the downside of online buying, but like it or hate it, it’s here to stay. 

You enjoy it for me. I’m out on online buying. I make traveling to coin shows my top priority in life. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/19/2022 at 11:12 AM, VKurtB said:

You enjoy it for me. I’m out on online buying. I make traveling to coin shows my top priority in life. 

It’s not that I necessarily enjoy it, it’s more that it’s a reality of collecting today. And as long as there is a return policy I’m fine with buying from a reputable source online. I would venture to guess that well over 50% of coins purchased today are online either auctions or online web sales. I’m afraid LCS will be a thing of the past before too long. Talking to most dealers these days they say if it wasn’t for walk ins to sell collections they wouldn’t have a store front. 

I sell online and it isn’t to rip anyone off it’s to reach customers. I have a no questions asked return policy. If you aren’t happy I’m not happy. I’m not trying to use trick photography to sell coins. 

Edited by Woods020

On 4/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, VKurtB said:

Which is great for you, however not everyone here is retired and can just travel whenever they feel like it.   Most of us have jobs and family which limit the opportunities to just take off on a lark to a show or an auction.   As you worked for the government a great deal of your working life you may not be aware that most companies do not give unlimited time off to employees, not even unpaid time off.

On 4/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, Coinbuf said:

Which is great for you, however not everyone here is retired and can just travel whenever they feel like it.   Most of us have jobs and family which limit the opportunities to just take off on a lark to a show or an auction.   As you worked for the government a great deal of your working life you may not be aware that most companies do not give unlimited time off to employees, not even unpaid time off.

When all I had was two weeks vacation, I used it for the March and August ANA shows. And my son came with me for August. Then when I got a third week, I added January F.U.N. and my boy was with me for that. That’s when we both became certified exhibit judges. 

Edited by VKurtB

This is a topic that comes up EXTREMELY often at ANA shows and committee meetings. “How can we get the online crowd?” I keep telling them “You can’t, and it’s silly to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars trying to.” Trust me, they simply don’t get it! They figure, “We’ve got hundreds of dealers here, where are the collectors?”

What do I need to tell them?

Edited by VKurtB